Sunday, February 5, 2023

1 Corinthians 13 Flip Card

This week's card for the shut ins I regularly send happy mail to features an electronic cut file generously shared by Sabine Harris in the Silhouette Card Making and Paper Crafting FB group. I resized it a bit to fit two card bases on each sheet of 12X12 paper and used my Silhouette Cameo 4 to cut out the file. I chose some pretty Valentine-themed papers and mixed and matched them to create 7 cards. 

What's fun about these cards is that they have a flip mechanism that lets you put a message on both sides of each of the 4 squares. Since Valentine's Day is coming up, I wanted to choose a verse about love for these cards, and 1 Corinthians 13:3-7 is a wonderful passage to reflect on regarding what genuine love is like. I broke the passage down into segments that would fit on the front and back of the 4 squares of the card and then used Maiandra font to type up the attributes of love mentioned in that passage. I did a print and cut of the squares and then used a heart stencil from Creative Expressions to add some pretty hearts to each square. 

I recently won a stamp and die kit from Tonic Studios through a Word Art Wednesday blog hop (thanks so much, Karen!), and in the kit is a set of dies for the word Love. There are two dies since the inner die doesn't cut out an outline on its own. I die cut the inner word die with the outline die using some Valentine colors (most of them are pink, but I also did a couple red ones) and then I die cut just the outline die using white card stock I had covered with metallic gold duct tape for a gold foil effect. I used that same gold-covered card stock to die cut some small hearts from the Hero Arts Library Card stamp and die set. If you're not familiar with that technique, I heard about it on Lydia Fieldler's blog Understand Blue. She mentioned it had the same effect as foiling a die cut, and it works great! Here's a link to the tape she recommended if you'd like to give it a try (it's what I used for this card): AmazonSmile: Metallic Tape Mirror Tape Duct Tape DIY Decorative Tapes, 2.4 Inches x 55 Yards (Gold) : Industrial & Scientific

I did a print and cut of the last verse in the passage: "Love never fails." I experimented with where I wanted to place it and adhered it to the front, inside, and back of different cards.  I haven't really decided which way I like it best. I also added the "Love" die cut in different places. I really like it best at the top of the card, and thankfully I have some oversized envelopes that will work with the die cut sticking up like that. If you only have 6X6 envelopes, you won't want to add anything to the top of these cards.

On one of the cards, I added a library card pocket I die cut using the same Hero Arts Library Card set I took the heart die from. I thought that was a fun little detail to add, but I found that the flip mechanism has a tendency to stick a bit if there's anything with a little dimension on the side it folds down on. I also had trouble when I attached the "Love" die cut there using foam tape. It's fine when it's adhered with liquid glue, but the foam tape made the flip mechanism catch a bit. 

These cards were a bit time-consuming to make, but I love how fun they are and the way they really showcase this passage about love. I'm praying the Lord will help me show this kind of love to everyone around me. I fall terribly short of the description here, but thankfully the Lord is merciful, and He Himself demonstrates this perfect love to sinners like me. 


Here's a look at the two sides of the 4 squares:


A close up of the first side:


A close up of the flip side on a card where I used Gina Marie Stitched Squares die cut in gold as the background for the squares with the verses:






Video showing the flip:





Here's a look at the Hero Arts Library Card pocket and heart die cuts:







I used a stitched banner die from the Tonic Studio set the Love die came from here:





Side view: 


I reversed where the flip mechanism was on this one. It works on either side:


A look at the back of one of the cards:


A few more photos of the cards:













Here's a look at the heart stencil I used. It was such a perfect size for these little squares!



Challenges I'm entering:

Anything Goes with a Fun Fold for Creative Creases #50 (secretstamper.com): ATG with a fun fold (ends Feb. 17) Top Pick Winner 2/17/23

Colorful Options: Pink is the color of the month (ends at the end of the month)

The Paper Shelter: Pink or bows (2/2; ends Feb. 8)

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Love (2/5; ends Feb. 8)

The Paper Funday Challenges: ATG (2/6; ends at the end of the month)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (2/5 for the week; ends Feb. 15)

The Diva's that cut ....paper! (die-cut-divas.blogspot.com): Die cut and gold (1/4; ends at the end of the month)

Incy Wincy Designs Challenge -1st to the 25th every month: Valentine or in the garden (2/5; ends at the end of the month)

Let's Craft and Create (letscreatechallenges.blogspot.com): ATG plus option of adding a sentiment (1/3; ends at the end of the month)

Creative Fingers Challenge Blog: ATG (1/3; ends Feb. 10)


Allsorts challenge blog: ATG with option of "I love..." I love God's Word and how it guides us to know Him better, love Him more, and have wisdom to live rightly (1/3; ends Feb. 8)

digidesignchallengeblog (disdigidesignschallenge.blogspot.com): Add one or more hearts (2/3; ends Feb. 17)

613 Avenue Create (avenue613.blogspot.com): ATG with option of use anything for red but a heart (1/8; ends at the end of the month)

Challenge – Dare 2B Artzy Blog: Love (1/3; ends at the end of the month)



Digi Choosday Cardmaking & Crafting Challenge: ATG (1/2; ends Feb. 13) Top 3 Favorite 2/14/23

Double Trouble Paper Crafting (doubletroublechallenge.blogspot.com): Thing 1: stitching (there's stitching on the banner I used on one of the cards as well as the gold squares I used--I made a note in the pictures) (2/4; ends Feb. 5)


A Perfect Time To Craft Open Challenge: ATG (unlimited entries; ends at the end of the month)


 

46 comments:

  1. WOW! What a truly fabulous card, Carrie! Love it all. Thank you for sharing with us on The Paper Shelter Challenge Blog. Good luck, and hope to see you again soon. Hugs, Lori - DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is wonderful, I love everything about it!
    Thanks for joining the D2BA Challenge! -Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this in the group and one amazing design... following you now here and I sent you a private message x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting shapes creation, many thanks for joining in with our 'A/G with I love....option' at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of work has gone into this design, it looks great. Thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  6. An intricate and fascinating cut/fold! Thank you for joining the challenge at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fun fold card is fabulous, Carrie! The scriptural message you selected never changes. Thank you for sharing such a lovely inspirational card at Double Trouble Challenge #130.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful card! The verse is beautiful and you put a lot of time into creating this. I'm sure the recipient of this card will be delighted. Thanks for sharing at Colorful Options February Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! What a beautiful card! The recipient is going to love it and treasure for sure! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Paper Shelter challenges. Have a wonderful day.
    Lena - DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fab interactive card, Carrie - just love all the golden details!! Thanks for sharing at Die Cut Divas!! Linda Diva DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! This is incredible! I love how interactive it is and I especially love how it is spiritually inspiring, using the Corinthians verses. Thank you for sharing this with us at Double Trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you were a busy lady with all the fun folds you created, great job and so much to view with your sentiments and the verses. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! I love creating fun fold cards!

      Delete
  13. Wow! Wow! Wow! Your mountainous work has produced a masterpiece and I'm blown away! Thanks for sharing this with us at The Paper Shelter!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie, I don't know how you do it but your fun fold cards are always spectacular and this one is OTT gorgeous. Love it! Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie DT
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous flip card. Nicely design. Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create this month. Hope to see you back here again next month. Judy DT https://avenue613.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW Carrie, this is fantastic and such a labor of love. Thanks for sharing your lovely project with us at The Paper Funday Challenge.
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome card! I love it. I'm sure whoever gets that card will treasure it. Thanks for playing along with us at Let's Craft and Create. Deanna DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see lots of loving time and work! Just beautiful. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our February challenge of using gold.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a clever card! I love the flip mechanism! Thank you for joining us at Colorful Options!

    Sara Lihz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carrie, this is beyond AWESOME! When I have more time, I will read your post but for now I could only look at the photo and I was truly impressed. Thanks for entering it at Creative Creases.
    Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such an intricate project! You did an amazing job! Thanks for leaving this beauty on our front porch at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  22. To say this is a WOW project would be an understatement ! Perfect card for any love celebration. Thank you for entering our Creative Creases challenge this round.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this fold looks amazing ! now I am curious how to make it ofcourse hi hi, hugs Blankina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blankina, here's a link to a video on how to create this card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbwl8aKwtY

      Delete
  24. Beautiful card Carrie. I like the intricate fold you used. Thank you for entering the Valentines/In The Garden Challenge at Incy Wincy Designs.

    ReplyDelete