I recently attended an Altenew Educator Workshop led by the talented Ishani, and she had us do some watercoloring and then die cutting to create a beautiful floral card.
I started by watercoloring a few panels of watercolor paper using Altenew's Ultraviolet and Prussian Blue gouache from the Artistis' Gouache Set--Strolling Through New York. Then I die cut tiny flower petals using Altenew's Craft-A-Flower: Lilac die set. I blued many of the lilacs onto a piece of white cardstock and then trimmed the cardstock around the flowers. Later I filled in all the white spots with additional flowers.
My next step was to trim a panel of watercolor paper I had painted with the Prussian Blue gouache to 5 by 7 because I decided I wanted a large card so I could use all the flowers I had die cut. I die cut another couple sets of lilacs out of the center of the blue watercolored panel since I knew I would be coving the panel with another panel and the die cut areas wouldn't show. No point wasting that beautiful watercolored paper, right?!
For the next layer, I trimmed a panel of watercolor paper to just under 5 by 7 and ink smooshed some of Altenew's Ultraviolet dye ink onto the panel. Then I stenciled the same ink through Altenew's Paper Echoes stencil in strategic areas of the panel. Then I used a distressing tool to distress and curl the top left and bottom right sections of the stenciled panel.
I adhered the blue panel to my white 5 by 7 card base and then adhered the stenciled and ink smooshed panel to those layers. I used my lilacs (they were adhered down to the white cardstock from earlier, so I could move them around on the background) as a guide for where to place the leaves I die cut using Altenew's Creative Cuts: Strawberry Patch dies. Once I decided on their placement, I adhered them with liquid glue and then adhered the lilac cluster using Altenew's Instant Dimension Foam Tape. Then I proceeded to add more lilacs using Instant Dimension Foam Tape and curling some of the petals up until I had the white spots covered and a nice amount of dimension and texture. I added 3 bees to the flowers because I wanted to use a punny sentiment on the inside of the card.
For the inside of the card, I trimmed a watercolor panel to just under 5 by 7 and ink smooshed it with more of the Ultraviolet ink I had used on the front of the card. I also used the Paper Echoes stencil again and then added a few extra die cuts and an additional bee. The "thank you for bee-ing so sweet" sentiment is from Altenew's Craft-Your-Life: Honeycomb Haven project kit. I stamped it in Altenew's Obsidian ink and die cut it with Altenew's Nesting A2 Panels die set. I glued everything down and set about adding all the tiny gems to the flower centers on the front and inside of the card.
For the envelope, I stenciled the Paper Echoes stencil once again using Ultraviolet ink and then added a couple leaves and flowers to finish up.
If you're interested in doing some crafty shopping at Altenew, I'd be so grateful if you used my affiliate link here: Carrie's Altenew Link. I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Altenew carries many wonderful craft products and has a great weekly sales section if you are looking for bargain prices to grow your Altenew collection.
Inside of the card:
A look at the coordinating envelope:
Close ups:
Distressed details:
More views:
Challenges I'm entering:
Beautiful Blossoms Challenge: ATG with flowers as the focus (6/6; ends 9/12/26)
Allsorts challenge blog: Sympathy/Thinking of You/Get Well or ATG (1/5; ends 9/15/25)
Polkadoodles Cardmaking, Craft & Scrapbooking Challenge: ATG (2/4; ends 10/3/26)
The Paper Funday Challenges: ATG or option of following a sketch (5/6; ends at the end of the month)
Paper Rocks Scissors: ATG with paper and/or scissors (I used scissors to cut the foam tape) (5/5; ends at the end of the month)
A Perfect Time To Craft Open Challenge: ATG (ends at the end of the month)
Mix It Up Challenge Blog: ATG with option of Embossing (5/5; ends 10/15/26)
Love To Craft Challenge Blog: ATG (5/5; ends 10/15/26)
Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG with option to use die cuts (ends 9/12/26)
Word Art Wednesday: ATG (2/5 for the week; 5/10 for the challenge; ends 9/16/26)
613 Avenue Create: ATG with option of Bright and Breezy (2/8; ends at the end of the month)
simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Add some texture (2/5; ends 9/16/26)
A Place To Start: ATG with option of Relates to a Song (Don't Worry, Be(e) Happy!) (2/8; ends at the end of the month)
Crazy is our fame - STENCILS are our game!: ATG with stencils with option of yellow (I used the Paper Echoes stencil on the card front, the inside of the card, and the envelope) (2/3; ends at the end of the month)
Triple B: ATG with birds, blooms, and/or butterflies (2/3; ends at the end of the month)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
WOW! Just WOW!! My favorite coloring medium is watercoloring and I just love the softness and the various intensities you were able to create! A Beautifully crafted card :) Thank you for joining us in this month's Beautiful Blossoms monthly challenge! We look forward to seeing more of your future projects and creations! ~ Amanda
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Amanda!
DeleteA beautiful floral display Carrie, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.
ReplyDeleteB x
Thanks so much, Brenda!
DeleteA gorgeous card with all those flowers that add a lot of dimension. I love how you've played with the watercolours to create the background and that envelope is perfect for the card. Thanks for joining us at A Place To Start. Hugs, María.
ReplyDeleteYou are so kind, María! Thanks for your sweet comment!
DeleteSo nice!
ReplyDeleteWe're always thrilled to see each entry arrive in our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create.
We do hope you'll return!
Wishing you the very best of luck with your entry.
Warm Wishes, Jackie,
DT member at 613 xx
Thanks, Jackie!
Delete