Saturday, November 11, 2023

Foiled Get Well Card

I recently purchased some Spellbinders foil plates when they were on sale for $5 each, and I've been playing with them a little. I am not great at foiling, but I am learning what works and what doesn't with my Todo machine. I have been finding that plain white cardstock doesn't give me very good results while thicker colored cardstocks seem to work better for me. I've also been adjusting the pressure dial to find that sweet spot where the foil transfers fully but doesn't give a lot of overfoiling. It's definitely a learning process! 

For this double gatefold card, I used Spellbinders' Magnolia Bouquet Glimmer Hot Foil Plates and Dies with Spellbinders gold glimmer foil. I ran the floral foil plates through my Todo machine with red cardstock and the leaves with green cardstock and then die cut all the pieces with the coordinating dies. The foiling isn't perfect, but it's still lovely in real life with all that shine. I also used the Spellbinders Geo Foliage set for the foiled polygon the die cut shapes are adhered to (if you look carefully, you can see that foiled outline on the red cardstock). That set comes with a die to cut the outside of the foiled area as well as an inner die that I used for the gold glitter cardstock background behind the magnolia flowers and leaves. 

For the card base, I followed a double gatefold card tutorial here: WOW - Double Gate Fun Fold that is EASY and QUICK - YouTube. This was a quick and easy card base to create. I layered it with green cardstock and some gold glitter cardstock. In hindsight, I wish I had embossed the green cardstock to add some texture, but each card is a learning opportunity, and I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

For the inside of the card, I used a get-well sentiment from SU!'s retired set Heavenly Hollyhocks. If you are interested in shopping for some lovely retired SU! bundles, here's a link to my friend Debbie Mageed's current list. She's offering bundles at really low prices with free shipping, and there's even an extra 10% off if you purchase 5 or more bundles. Here's the list: Bundles For Sale - Google Docs.

This card is for a woman at my church who just had knee replacement surgery, and I'm hoping it will be an encouragement to her with all the pretty shimmer and shine. 







Challenges I'm entering: 


Allsorts challenge blog: Friendship or ATG (1/3; ends 11/18/23)

Polkadoodles Cardmaking, Craft & Scrapbooking Challenge: ATG (1/4; ends 11/18/23)

Colorful Options: Red (ends at the end of the month)

Triple B (dd-tripleb.blogspot.com): ATG with birds, butterflies, and/or blooms (1/3; ends at the end of the month)

Doodle Challenge (rabiscochallenge.blogspot.com): ATG (2/5; ends at the end of the month)

Crafts Galore Encore Challenge Blog (cardsgalorechallenges.blogspot.com): ATG (1/3; ends at the end of the month)

Beautiful Blossoms Challenge: ATG with flowers as the focus (5/6; ends 11/12/23)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (2/5 for the week; 2/10 for the challenge; ends 11/22/23)

The Paper Funday Challenges: ATG with optional twist of Grateful, Thankful, or Thanks (1/4; ends 12/2/23)

simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Thinking of you (2/5; ends 11/15/23)

Digi Choosday Cardmaking & Crafting Challenge: ATG (1/2; ends 11/14/23)

Crafty Calendar Challenge: ATG (3/3; ends at the end of the month)

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful double gatefold! I am new to foiling as well and it is a challenge. Your lovely card inspires. Thank you for joining the challenge at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dena! Hope you learn faster than I have😂!

      Delete
  2. You've mastered the foiling for this beautiful card. So striking. Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful card Carrie, but lovely bold colours and pretty Rose, thanks for sharing at Allsorts.

    As Lynn said, looks like you mastered foiling, it's not the easiest technique and I confess I still struggle sometimes.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, thank you so much! And I’ve seen Simon Hurley and Justine Hovey struggle with foiling, so we are not alone 😂. It’s temperamental for sure!

      Delete
  4. You scored quite the deal on the plates and you've created a lovely card Carrie! Thanks for sharing your stunning card with us at The Beautiful Blossoms Challenge and we hope you'll share again soon.
    Donna xx
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
    Paper Funday Challenge
    Inspiration Station Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous double gatefold card, Carrie! Your get well cards are so inspirational. Who wouldn't feel better after receiving them?! Thank you for playing with the Creative Creases Challenge, and I hope you can join us again soon. We really appreciate your support!
    Debbie, DT
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a marvellous card shape, really special. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card, I love the festive colours - Thanks for sharing over at The Paper Funday - Dawn - DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie, this beautiful "Get Well" card is sure to brighten the day of it's recipient. Thank you for entering Creative Creases #70 Challenge. Hope to see you for the next one.
    Rae, DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another stunning creation Carrie, fabulous folded design, the gold foiling looks beautiful with the deep red and green. Thank you for sharing your creativity at Crafty Calendar.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A super card design in these lovely festive colours. Thank you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete