Monday, November 23, 2015

White as Snow

This card really stretched me! The SLS Lines image "Voodoo King" is the Outlawz monthly progressive freebie for November, and I have to admit I had some qualms about making a card with him. My first thought was just to sit out this month and buy next month's image to join back in, but as I reflected on it, I couldn't help thinking about the people in Ephesus mentioned in Acts 19:19 who had previously practiced sorcery but then converted to Christianity after hearing Paul's preaching and subsequently burned the expensive scrolls of their former practices. I had the idea of using this image to show God's amazing forgiveness and redemption. No one is beyond salvation if they look to the cross in faith that Jesus paid the penalty for their sin allowing them to receive God's forgiveness and cleansing. It's my prayer that this card may bring hope to anyone struggling with guilt and wondering if she is beyond redemption.
I started with a 5X7 inch Kraft card base because I like the look of snow on Kraft cardstock. I used some Close to My Heart snowflake stamps to cover the card front and embossed them with white embossing powder.
I used my Silhouette Design Studio software to size up the digi and the sentiment and drew a rectangle cut file around them at 2x3 inches. I used the print and cut feature of my Silhouette Portrait. I distressed the image to give the idea of a hard life apart from Jesus. Then I die cut a cross out of silver cardstock using a die from the Spellbinders Crosses 2 set. I used a Krylon silver leafing pen on the sides of my sentiment to make it look more "finished," and adhered the image and sentiment with glue tape. I used foam squares to pop up the cross since it's the focal point here. It's Jesus' work on the cross that provides the hope of forgiveness and redemption.
For the inside of the card, I chose this wonderful verse from 2 Corinthians:
I die cut it with Spellbinders Romantic Rectangles and added lakes from a Cuttlebug die.
Well, I hope this card has encouraged you! If you are already a believer, maybe you have some "scrolls" left to burn from your previous life apart from Christ. Are there some practices in your life that aren't glorifying God? If you don't yet belong to the Lord, I pray that these verses will inspire you to reflect on what is holding you back from the forgiveness and cleansing now freely offered to you. I welcome you to contact me at carrieannsheridan@gmail.com if you have any questions about how to receive Christ into your heart and experience the new life only He can give.
This card will be entered in the following challenges:
The Outlawz Monthly Freebie Progressive Challenge
A Snowflakes Promise 2WE3, Must be Christmas/winter themed  #10 - Anything Goes with a Winter or Christmas Theme (Week 1)
Deep Ocean Challenge 2W - #117 White plus one other color
Papertake Weekly Let It Snow
Mod Squad Challenge: Pattern Your Paper
http://modsquadchallenge.blogspot.com/
CropStop Linky Party M, 2nd Wednesday of M, E5, SIR(see blog for details)  #10 Anything Goes (Week 2 of 4) 
Ooh La La Creations - 2W, SIO - (Week 1) Let It Snow
The Crazy Challenge - 2W, 4E - (Week 1) Everything Goes
Incy Wincy Designs - W, 5E - Tic Tac Toe* Kraft, free space, distressed image
Craft Your Passion - W, E3 - Always Anything Goes
Simply Create Too - 2W - No.99 - (W1 of 2) - Snow/ Use Mostly White
Allsorts W,3E  at least 3 diecuts 
My Time to Craft 2W (W1 ) Let it snow 
Melonheadz Friends Challenge - 2W, 2E, SIO - (Week 1) Use a Digi
613 Avenue Create - W - #151 Anything goes with optional twist: Create Your Own Challenge*
Crafting from the Heart - W, E3 - Always Anything Goes
Left of Center Creative Challenges W - No.105 - Use a Sentiment
Inspiration Destination - W, F- #60 Always Anything Goes 



12 comments:

  1. A very interesting take on the image. It is a challenge to do justice to something like this....well done! Thank you so much for participating this week at the Mod Squad Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Card. Thanks for sharing with us this fortnight. Lisa DT Aud Sentiments Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card the messages are wonderful Thanks for sharing at Craft Rocket Challenges Lis DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that scripture and the hymn. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday in our 210th AG challenge! Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your creation with us at LOC challenges this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the red card and the snowflakes.
    Thank you for joining in our 3 dies challenge this week at Allsorts.

    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowflakes look gorgeous on the kraft base. Great color combo too. Thanks for joining us this week at My time to Craft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the silver cross. Thanks for joining us at CAS-UAL Chic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very unique! Thanks for joining our ‘Tic Tac Toe” challenge over at Incy Wincy Designs Challenge Blog!
    Hugs,
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post and creation!
    Thank you for sharing with Crafting from the Heart!
    Susan
    DT for Crafting from the Heart!
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unique and creative
    Thanks for joining us at Craft for the Craic
    Pixie (DT member)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unique take on the challenge - love that die cut frame. Thankyou for joining us this month at Craft for the Craic

    ReplyDelete