Sunday, July 5, 2026

Blue Jay Z-Fold Card

My father-in-law's birthday is coming up soon, and I thought I would make him a fun fold birthday card featuring blue jays. I used Altenew's Cardinal Love layering die set for the birds and branch on this card, and I just used blue cardstocks to make them look like blue jays. 

For the card base, I trimmed a piece of white cardstock to 4 1/4 by 11. Then I scored it at 2 3/4 and at 5 1/2 inches to create the z-fold base. Then I trimmed some Spellbinders pattern paper with stars on it to 1/8-inch smaller dimensions to fit all the panels. I used the same white cardstock and starry cardstock for the smaller card on the right side of the card, too. 

I added my blue jays and branch to the front of the smaller card using Altenew's 1/8-inch thick and 1/4-inch wide Instant Dimension Foam Tape. 

For the inside of the card, I die cut "happy" and its shadow using Altenew's Versatile Greetings 2 die set and then used my Nelko label maker and transparent tape to create the "BIRD-day" sentiment. 

To finish the card, I added a few star gems to the front of the card.

If you're interested in doing some crafty shopping at Altenew, I'd be so grateful if you used my affiliate link here: Carrie's Altenew Link.  I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Altenew carries many wonderful craft products and has great weekly sales. 






Challenges I'm entering:

Creative Creases Challenge: ATG with a fun fold project. I'm on the DT and sharing just for fun. 

613 Avenue Create: ATG with option of any holiday (2/8; ends at the end of the month)

Krafty Chicks Challenge: Birthday (ends 7/8/26)

Heart's Quest for Shaped Cards and Tags: ATG with shaped cards or tags (ends at the end of the month)

The Creative Crafters: ATG (2/3; ends 7/8/26)

Mix It Up Challenge Blog: ATG with option of shape card (2/5; ends 8/15/26)

Love To Craft Challenge Blog: ATG (2/5; ends 8/15/26)

Paper Rocks Scissors: ATG with paper and/or scissors (2/5; ends at the end of the month)

Triple B: ATG with birds, blooms, and/or butterflies (2/3; ends at the end of the month)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (2/5 for the week; 5/10 for the challenge; ends 7/8/26)

Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG with option of summer fun (unlimited; ends 7/12/26)

A Perfect Time To Craft Open Challenge: ATG (ends at the end of the month)

Crafty Catz: ATG (5/5; ends 7/3/26)

Fab 'n' Funky Challenges: Something starting with "B": I have a bird and blooms (ends 7/7/26)

Crafter's Cafe: ATG with the option of blooms (ends 7/12/26)

Crafty Animals: ATG with animals/birds/etc. (2/3; ends at the end of the month)

Critter Crazy CHALLENGE BLOG: atg with critters (2/3; ends at the end of the month)

Crafting from the Art challenge: ATG (3/3; ends 7/8/26)

Craft Rocket Challenges: Animals (unlimited; ends at the end of the month)

simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/: Stars and/or stripes (1/5; ends 7/6/26)



I'd like to leave a blessing for all the lovely visitors to my blog: 

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you;

The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.

--Numbers 6: 22-26

26 comments:

  1. A beautiful Z fold card, the die cut jays are gorgeous Thanks for joining in at Crafty Catz and Fab'n'Funky
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sucker for fun fold card! Thank you for sharing this with us at Love to Craft ATG

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great fold and such a fab contrast in papers. So glad you shared your birds with us at Critter Crazy, CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty birds and a great fancy fold too!
    Thank you for joining our challenge at Triple B!
    Diane
    {Nellies Nest}
    Triple B Co-Owner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, Carrie! Your blue jays are lovely and I love that dark background. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Word Art Wednesday. We appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular card! Love that fun fold and the pretty birds! Thanks for joining us at Krafty Chicks Challenge this past week for our BIRTHDAY theme :) Hope you join us again soon.
    Diane - DT KCC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, this is beautiful! Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create. I hope we see you on the front porch again soon!

    Hugs, Em
    613 Avenue Create Co-Owner
    A Place To Start DT
    Creative Em my blog
    Creative Em on YouTube my Youtube channel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Lovely card!!! Thanks so much for participating in our PAPER ROCKS SCISSORS challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful project. Thank you so much for joining in with us at 613 Avenue create.
    Hugs, Majda DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Z-fold design and those birds are fabulous! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Love Those Pretty Papers & Triple B challenges! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Love Those Pretty Papers Co-Owner
    Triple B Co-Owner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind comments, Darlene!

      Delete
  11. Lovely Z fold card, thank you for joining in with us for our Anything Goes Challenge at The Crafters Cafe Blog Challenge. Karen DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello again, Carrie!!! This is an awesome z-fold variation shaped card!! Making a starry night-time setting for the blue jays is a terrific idea for a unique bird-day/birthday card! Thanks x 3 for sharing at HQFSCAT (shaped card) and Critter Crazy (critters/birds) and at Deanne's PRS (anything paper; anything scissors)!!! Very clever construction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Thank you for entering our challenge at 613 Avenue Create.
    Mia, Designer for 613 Avenue Create
    craftartista.blogspot.com {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all your kind comments on my blog, Mia!

      Delete