I have been seeing this Diagonal Stepper Card on a number of youtube channels, including Iced Images who I think may have come up with the original design, and I have been wanted to try it out for awhile now. Today was the day! I followed a tutorial here:
Funky Diagonal Stepper Card (Live Replay), and Laura put the measurements in the video description. I decided against having as many layers as Laura did, but if you like matt layers under the pattern paper, she includes the measurements for those, too.
I chose some yellow cardstock for the card base, and diagonal strip, and the sentiment strip. Then I die cut Altenew's Bright Bloom layering die set to create several sunflowers. I used watercolor paper I had painted with a light yellow for the flower petal layers and then ink blended colors from Altenew's Golden Sunset ink collection over the light-colored die cuts. For the flower centers, I die cut the pieces out of a light brown cardstock I recycled from a thank you note I recently received, and then I ink blended Almond Butter over the centers and Milk Chocolate over the little rings that encircle the centers (from Altenew's Delectable Delights ink collection). I assembled the flowers and set them aside.
After following Laura's instructions to create the card base, I then chose some pattern paper I felt worked well with the browns in the flower centers. I trimmed it according to Laura's measurements and then stamped the "sending you sunshine and love" sentiment from Altenew's Build-A-Flower: Canterbury Bells set. I trimmed the same pattern paper but with the other side up for the diagonal strip (plain tan cardstock on that side). Then I arranged 3 of my flowers on the strip and added them using Altenew's Instant Dimension Foam Tape for dimension. Then I added the sentiment strip. To finish the front of the card, I added some bling from my stash.
For the back of the card, I used more of the tan side of the double-sided cardstock and trimmed it to cover the back panel of the card. I stamped "thankful for you" on white cardstock using Altenew's Build-A-Garden: Morning Glory set and then ink blended a bit of Sunray ink (the lightest color from Altenew's Golden Sunset ink collection). I added the sentiment to the tan panel and then adhered another one of the sunflowers using more Instant Dimension Foam Tape. Then I forgot to take a photo of the back of the card until I had already written a note for my daughter, so I apologize for my terrible handwriting! 😂
This card was surprisingly easy to create, and those are the best fun folds!
If you're interested in doing some crafty shopping at Altenew, I'd be so grateful if you used my affiliate link here:
Carrie's Altenew Link. I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Altenew carries many wonderful embossing folders, stencils, project kits, inks, and die sets and has weekly sales.
Back of the card:
Challenges I'm entering:
Creative Creases #118 - August 7th through September 3rd: ATG with a fun fold (I'm on the DT and entering just for inspiration)
Double Trouble Paper Crafting: Thing 1: 3 of something from my stash (ink colors) 2 of something from my stash (cardstocks: yellow and double-sided pattern paper) 1 of something from my stash (1 layering die set) Thing 3: I used foam tape and also layering of my die cuts for this card (2/4; ends 8/30/26)
The Neglected Stuff Challenge: I haven't used the Build-A-Flower: Canterbury Bells set in years! It's retired now, but I thought the sentiment in it was perfect for these sunflowers! (ends at the end of the month)
Tic Tac Toe Challenge - Inspiring creativity 8-ways each week Fun fold, gems, dies (1/3; ends 8/27/26)

I'd like to leave a blessing for all the lovely visitors to my blog:
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you;
The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.
Numbers 6:22-26
Carrie, this is such a sweet and beautiful card! I clicked over to the YouTube video and I am saving it for the future when I feel like I’m ready for a challenge. Once I get the hang of it, I’m sure it will be a lot easier. But your card is lovely. I love these fancy. Fold cards and those flowers on the front are really pretty. I just had to read your sentiment on the inside. Your daughter will love it for sure! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Word Art Wednesday. We appreciate your participation!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Barb! Don't let this fun fold intimidate you! You can definitely do this, and it can be made into any theme you'd like. Such a versatile design!
DeleteVery pretty and creative step card!
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining our challenge at The Four Seasons and The Neglected Stuff!
Diane
{Nellies Nest}
The Four Seasons, The Neglected Stuff Co-Owner
Thank you so much, Diane!
DeleteThis is a different way to do a step card and it is beautiful. I shall be trying myself at some point as I love making something unusual. Love your flowers and design. Thanks for sharing at Double Trouble, Johanna DT
ReplyDeleteThat's a fun fold and looks so lovely with those sunflowers. Great choice of colours too - thanks for sharing with us at Inspiration Station
ReplyDelete