I recently attended a workshop led by Altenew Educator Liz Ortiz, and I modified her card design from the class to create this interactive card with a surprise inside.
For the front of the card, I trimmed a panel of white cardstock to 3 3/4 by 5 and embossed it with the foliage die from Altenew's Creative Cuts: Feathered Beauty layering die set. I used the sandwich recommended for my Spellbinders Platinum die cutting machine to emboss with a die and ran the die through first placed at the top right and then moved to the bottom left. I adhered the panel to a white A2 size card panel and splattered the panel with Altenew's Rose Gold Shimmer Relief Paste that I spritzed with a little water and splattered with a paintbrush.
Next, I die cut the same foliage die and the flower dies in the Feathered Beauty set out of white cardstock. I ink blended the flower petals using Altenew's Rose Gold metallic pigment ink. Then I assembled the flowers and added the white centers to them. I set them aside and added the white foliage die cuts to the panel on the top left and bottom right of the card panel. Then I die cut the word "you" using Altenew's Mega You Die out of watercolor cardstock I had covered with Altenew's Rose Gold Shimmer Relief Paste and allowed to dry for several hours. It took several passes through the die cutter with my metal shim to get the word to die cut completely out of that thick paper, but eventually it cut through. I adhered the word "you" to the card front and then stamped "I'm here for" using Altenew's Build-A-Garden: Peruvian Lily set. I adhered the stamped sentiment to the card using Altenew's Instant Dimension Foam Tape. The paper I stamped the sentiment on had a bit of the leftover Rose Gold Shimmer Relief Paste I had thinned with water for the splatters,so it has some shine to it in real life that you can't really see in the photos.
For the inside of the card, I stenciled Altenew's Cloud stencil over the background and then created a mechanism Liz showed us how to make in the class that is what makes the birds wings flap. For the bird itself, I die cut the pieces from the Feathered Beauty set with a few extra of some of the pieces to help fill out the part of the bird that sits on top of the mechanism. I ink blended the pieces using inks from a retired set of inks from Altenew called Icy Lake. Then I added the wings to the mechanism on both sides so they flap when the card opens and shuts. I've included a video to show how the bird's wings move when the card opens and shuts, so be sure to check that out.
To finish the card, I stamped Psalm 91:4 onto some white cardstock and ink blended the cloud stencil over it with the same blue ink I had used for the background. I adhered it to the bottom right side of the card where it won't interfere with the mechanism for the bird. I think the stamp came from an old Gina Marie Designs stamp set.
If you're interested in doing some crafty shopping at Altenew, I'd be so grateful if you used my affiliate link here: Carrie's Altenew Link. I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Altenew carries many wonderful craft products and has a great weekly sales section if you are looking for bargain prices to grow your Altenew collection.
Inside the card:
A video showing how the wings flap:
Creative Creases #118 - August 7th through September 3rd: ATG with a fun fold (I'm on the DT, so I'm entering just for fun)
Word Art Wednesday: ATG (4/5 for the week; 9/10 for the challenge; ends 8/19/26)
A Perfect Time To Craft Open Challenge: ATG (ends at the end of the month)
As You Like It Challenge: Favorite Coloring Medium and Why: I love ink blending! I can add more color to certain parts of a stenciled area or a die cut for color variation, and I can use my large collection of inks to match just about any color I could desire. My sticky mats from Altenew make it easy to ink blend, too. (1/3; ends 8/26/26)
Creative Knockouts: Fun Fold Cards (1/3; ends 8/19/26) C10
Word Power: ATG with words as the focus (1/3; ends at the end of the month)
Double D Challenges: Feathers (delete if it's not allowed to have the feathers be inside the card rather than on the front) (1/3; ends 8/16/26)
Triple B: ATG with birds, blooms, and/or butterflies (2/3; ends at the end of the month)
The Diva's that cut ....paper!: White on white with a splash of one color (please delete if metallics don't count) (1/5; ends at the end of the month)
I'd like to leave a blessing for all the lovely visitors to my blog:
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you;
The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.
--Numbers 6: 22-26






No comments:
Post a Comment