I made something a little different this week. Instead of a card, I made a small piece of wall art. My husband and sons love to go fishing, and when I saw this fun fisherman digi by our sponsor Stitchy Bear, I could see him as part of a mixed media piece of home decor. To find this image and other great digis, be sure to visit their online store:
I had a wooden box with four partitions left over from some acrylic embellishments I used, and I had been wanting to incorporate it into something rather than just throw it away. I decided it would make a good base for this piece. It needed some color, so I used Desert Clay and Guatamala Green Twinkling H2Os to paint it.
Once the paint dried, the fun began! I had already imported my digi to my Silhouette Design Studio software and sized him up how I wanted him to be. Then I printed him out and colored him up with Copic and MEXPY markers. I knew he would be the focal point, so I planned to put him in the top half of the piece.
I bought some netting from an outlet store and trimmed up some pieces in various colors to glue into the base using Aleene's Tacky Glue. I let that partially dry while I set about choosing some fun embellishments. I had a set of wooden fishing embellishments that have been in my stash for YEARS which I used here (don't you love it when you finally have the right project for those special items in your stash that have been taking up space for ages?) as well as a die cut of an anchor that I tied with twine. Then my husband gave me the go-ahead to use anything in his tackle box to add to the piece. He had a lot of strange-looking lures and worms, etc. but many of them were too brightly colored to work with this piece. There were still PLENTY of items to choose from, though! And he teases me about my obsession with craft dies! I've got nothing on him, ladies!
After choosing some fun "divers," hooks, worms and lures, I adhered everything down. Since I had been generous with the Tacky Glue and didn't wait until it was completely dry, I was able to get most of the items to stick to the base with just the glue already there. For the others, I brushed on a little more tacky glue and adhered them in place. I then strung some fishing line through the embellishments to add a little more fun to the piece.
Here's a close-up picture of the top half:
Here's a closer look at the bottom half:
I'm entering this project in the following challenges:
Fairy Tale - 2W, 2E - No. 135 - (W2 of 2) - New technique, but no cards (my new technique was paining with H20s on wood)
Altered Eclectics (M,P1) Anything Goes
Anything but Cute Mixed Media Challenge (M, P5 No cute images, no 100% digital projects) #9 Ring out the Old, Bring in the New (while many of the items I used were old-and it felt good to finally use some of them!- the digi was new as well as the netting I bought for this project)
Crafts Galore Encore (M,P1,E3) Anything Goes
Digistamps 4 Joy (P1/15,SIO) #120 Anything Goes (Optional Twist = add handmade embellishment)
We Love 2 Create - 2W, E1, SIO - #2 Anything Creative/ Mixed Media Goes (W1 of 2)
Rhedd's Creative Spirit (M,P1,E3) Anything Goes (Mixed Media Altered Art / Mixed Media ONLY