Friday, April 5, 2024

I Am The Resurrection Sympathy Card Box

This weekend I made a special box for my sister to keep the sympathy cards she and my brother-in-law have received since the death of their oldest son (my 18-year-old nephew) in February. My nephew had wanted to join the Air Force, so my sister and BIL chose a red, white, and blue theme for the flowers at his funeral. That's why I decided to use red, white, and blue for this box, too.

To decorate the 11 1/4 by 7 3/4 inch box, I chose some double-sided card stock that has flowers on one side and small polka dots on the other. I used the flower side to cover the base of the box and the polka dots to cover the top.  I chose word art of John 11:25 from the Silhouette Design Store: "I am the resurrection and the life." How grateful I am for that truth! My nephew was a believer, and I have the comfort of knowing he is with the Lord in heaven now, and I will see him again one day. This tragedy has underscored the importance of having a personal relationship with Jesus. I'm clinging to Him so tightly right now!

I did a print and cut of the word art for the focal point. Then I used some leftover scraps of the pattern paper to make squares for the top left and bottom right of the card and adhered them to the polka dot paper. I then added the word art panel. I die cut the epiphyllum flowers from Altenew's Craft-A-Flower: Epiphyllum Layering Die Set using scraps from my collection of snippets and some of the polka dot pattern paper. I adhered the flowers in the corners of the sentiment panel. 

The idea to make this box came from a friend who lost one of her sons awhile back. She said her sister made her a special box to hold all the sympathy cards she received, and I asked my sister if she would like that, also. She and my mom both wanted one, so I'm going to make a second one for my mom and may make one for myself as well. 

Top of the box:


Side view:


Close up of the 3D flowers:



 Challenges I'm entering:

Word Power (wordpowerchallenge.blogspot.com): ATG with the sentiment as the focus 

As You Like It Challenge: Cute or Floral and Why: I love flowers and enjoy making floral cards and projects like this one because they are so pretty and elegant. (1/3; ends 4/17/24)

Creative Inspiration Challenges: ATG (1/2; ends at the end of the month)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (1/5 for the week; 3/10 for the challenge; ends 4/10/24)


A Place To Start (hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com): ATG with option of adding one or more flowers (1/8; ends at the end of the month)




Snippets Playground (pixiessnippetsplayground.blogspot.com): ATG with snippets (I used snippets for the 3D flowers on the box) (1/1; ends 4/13/24)

No more challenges. 

18 comments:

  1. Beauitiful. A dignified and fitting tribute. Leona (Creative Moments Challeng blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
    DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Cat
    https://creativeinspirationchallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely idea for a very sad occasion. Sure to be treasured.

    Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you up in the treehouse later. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sarn. I'll swing on up to the treehouse soon!

      Delete
  4. Hi Carrie, a very special box for such a solemn occasion. Thank you for joining us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends, good luck in the prize draw... Megan DT LPoCF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much, Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful box Carrie and such a lovely idea as well. I'm so sorry to read about your nephew - take one day at a time is all I can offer. And, for you and your family, I hope your faith is giving you strength and comfort.

    Dudley will give you special cuddles in the Snippets Playground. Free - no treats needed!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di, thank you so much. I love doggy cuddles and will take Dudley up on that! Of course Smoose (my 130 pound Great Dane) might get a bit jealous!)

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful project and lovely keepsake box x

    Thanks so much for joining us on the Polkadoodles Digi Choosday challenge at Digi Choosday !

    Love and crafty hugs from

    Wendy (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your box is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous papers and colours. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. xx Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and just perfect for our challenge! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our WORD POWER challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth,Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

    ReplyDelete