Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Apple of My Eye Card

I recently sent an apple-themed care package to my daughter in the Navy and can finally put her card up on my blog because she's already received the package and card. She checks my blog on a regular basis, so I've stopped posting any cards she hasn't received yet so they can be a surprise to her😀. 

This card was inspired by the fractured cards I've been seeing in a lot of YouTube videos recently. It's loosely based on TX Stampin' Sharon's video here: Want To See A Sparkle In The Eye? Make These Homemade Birthday Cards! - YouTube. I chose some apple-themed card stock, a green checkered square from my snippets stash, and then I cut some thin strips that also came from my snippets. I love it when I can use some of my scraps of card stock! This card was simple to create. I had an A2 card base, so I cut the apple card stock panel to 4.25X 5.5 and then adhered it to the card base. I adhered the green checked square in the middle of the card and then glued down the thin strips of brown card stock around the square. As I was making it, I realized I was supposed to cut the strips so they ended with one against the other instead of extending the length of the card, but as I had already glued down a couple, I just continued in the same pattern😂. TX Stampin' Sharon likes to encourage people to "go rogue" with their cards, so I guess I was just following her advice! 

So what did I send in the apple-themed care package? I sent a gallon baggie of the dried apple rings I recently made in my dehydrator, a couple dozen apple butter snickerdoodle cookies (recipe here: Apple Butter Snickerdoodles (allrecipes.com)), a bag of Kraft caramels, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and as many Honeycrisp apples as I could fit in the box. The caramels and condensed milk are for melting with a stick of butter to make caramel dipping sauce for the apples. We are blessed to live in an area with lots of orchards nearby, and I can get a half bushel of most varieties of apples for only $8. My 4 kids grew up picking cherries, peaches, and apples with me every year. I miss those days when I had so many helpers at home! But hopefully my grandson will be able to be my helper soon! He's only 15 month, so I think I'll give him a few years before putting him to work in the orchards😄.

I finished the card front by adding a metallic sticker to the front that reads "you're the apple of my eye," and then I added some puffy hearts and a puffy apple sticker to the inside of the card. I started to write my daughter a message inside the card when I realized I hadn't taken any pictures of it yet, so you'll see her name in the bottom photo. Oops!






 Challenges I'm entering: 

Snippets Playground (pixiessnippetsplayground.blogspot.com): ATG with snippets (the green square and the brown strips were from my snippets collection) (1/1; ends 10/28/23)

613 Avenue Create (avenue613.blogspot.com): ATG with optional twist of autumn colors (6/8; ends at the end of the month)

A Place To Start (hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com): ATG (unlimited entries; ends at the end of the month)

simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge: Text it (5/5; ends 10/23/23)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (1/5 for the week; 6/10 for the challenge; ends 10/25/23)

A Perfect Time To Craft Open Challenge: ATG (unlimited entries; ends at the end of the month)

bastel-traum: Autumn Mood (ends 11/15/23)

Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG (unlimited entries; ends at the end of the month)

Doodle Challenge (rabiscochallenge.blogspot.com): ATG (3/5; ends at the end of the month)

Allsorts challenge blog: Texture or ATG (2/3; ends 10/20/23)

simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Food and/or drink (1/5; ends 10/25/23)

16 comments:

  1. A lovely "rogue" fragmented card for your daughter. Lots of treats included with it too. Sure to be appreciated.

    Thanks for entering a piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you up in the treehouse for a mug of hot chocolate later! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet project to cheer your daughter up Carrie! I love the way you themed it around apples :) What a fun way to use up your snippets too. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice apple themed card and sounds like some wonderful goodies in the care package too. I am sure your daughter was so happy to receive it!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Allsorts challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely thought behind the design Carrie, sure you Daughter loved her card, thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! My daughter especially loved the cookies!

      Delete
  5. Hi Carrie - what a fabulous parcel you sent to your daughter! She has one Super-Mom for sure! I love your card and the twist on the way the strips are placed is just fine. One little point, we do only allow a total of 10 challenges , including the Snippets Playground. For this time I won't tell if you don't!

    Hugs
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Di, and I'm so sorry I missed that rule about the number of challenges!

      Delete
  6. Lovely card. I like the way you designed the card. Thank you for joining us aat 613 Avenue Create this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT https://avenue613.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for sharing this lovely card at Allsorts this week.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. You designed a beautiful card for your daughter, perfect to accompany all the apple themed goodies you sent her, I'm sure she was delighted by your thoughtfulness.
    Thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog, much appreciated.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! It's always a pleasure to share encouragement with other crafters!

      Delete