Thursday, October 26, 2023

Foiled Christmas Card

I recently attended the online Stress-Free Holiday Card Summit and learned loads of fun techniques. One of them was to add metallic ink to a 3D embossed background, so for this A2 card, I used Altenew's Perfect Poinsettias 3D embossing folder on deep red card stock and then used a gold ink pad to swipe over the top of the embossed details. I then trimmed the panel to 4.25X5.5 and added gold ink to all four sides of the panel just by running the ink pad along the edges. Then I adhered that panel to a white A2 card blank.  That was the end of the easy part 😂.

Next came the foiling. I really want to enjoy hot foiling, and I love the look of it, but it seems like for every one project that comes out looking nice, I end up with several that either didn't transfer the foil to all parts of the image or overfoiled quite a bit. I'm sure it's user error! Part of the problem is that I don't have the Spellbinders Glimmer Machine or the Gemini Hot Foil Machine. I'm using the Create and Craft Todo Machine that I bought brand new years ago for $5 at a local craft outlet. Unfortunately it never really took off, so there are very few YouTube videos out there on how to use it for hot foiling, so I'm kind of experimenting on my own and taking notes on what seems to work best. If anyone out there has a Todo and uses it for hot foiling, please share any tips you've discovered. 

For the sentiment, poinsettia, and foliage, I used Spellbinders' 




 Challenges I'm entering:

October Mood Board Card Challenge with Card Sketch (not2shabbyshop.com): I chose the Christmas theme and the red and green colors and poinsettias from the mood board: (3/3; ends at the end of the month)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (2/5 for the week; 2/10 for the challenge; ends 11/8/23)


Peace On Earth Christmas: ATG Christmas (3/3; ends at the end of the month)

Doodle Challenge (rabiscochallenge.blogspot.com): ATG (3/5; ends at the end of the month)

Most Magical Time of the Year!: ATG Christmas or Halloween (ends 10/27/23)


Cut It Up (cutitupchallenges.blogspot.com): Add a sentiment (3/3; ends 11/1/23)

The Paper Shelter: Favorite Color Combo: Red and Green (especially with gold) (2/2; ends 11/1/23)

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty!! The foiling looks fabulous! Thanks for playing with Cut It Up Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty with the foiled details.
    Lia DT POE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lia! I love the way foiling looks but don't think to get out the supplies very often!

      Delete
  3. Just beautiful! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Peace On Earth challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty card Carrie! Thanks for playing along with the Not 2 Shabby Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab, the foiling works beautifully, thanks for sharing with us this week at The Paper Shelter. Julie DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job with this card Carrie! I like the idea of just rubbing gold over and embossed image. I too love the look of foiling, but have opted to use a Mini Minc from Pink & Main. It's not as good as real foiling, but it does give me some creativity. I've even seen Simon Hurley try glimmer only to not have it all stick. That, coupled with the cost of the plates has me waiting. I'm glad you got your machine for $5.00. That sounds amazing! Thanks again for sharing over at Word Art Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barb! Foiling is definitely hit and miss for me, but it's fun to experiment with it.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us at POE Christmas Challenge.

    ReplyDelete