Saturday, October 1, 2022

Proverbs 18:24 Fancy Quarter Fold Card

Today's card was a labor of love! It took a few tries to get this one right! I made the inner pumpkins too big the first time around, and then still bigger than I wanted the second time around (they completely fill the inside of the card!), and the cut file I designed for the outside box card didn't quite fit together correctly at first, either. Nevertheless, I kept at it, and eventually it all came together. 

To start with, I got the idea of creating this card design from Rae Harper-Burnet. You can check out her instructions here: Fancy Quarter Folds | Wild West Paper Arts. I modified her sizing to accommodate the pumpkin cut outs I wanted to use inside and created a cut file in my Silhouette Design Studio software so I could make multiples of them quickly. Pro tip: Don't try to size the exterior after creating the interior elements! I really did this backwards and wound up using giant envelopes to fit the cards I ended up with 😂. I would have been way better off sizing up the interior elements to fit the exterior and being able to put this card in a standard 5X7 envelope. 

Once I knew that I wanted to make this quarter fold card, I decided I wanted something the recipient could open up inside the card, also. I liked the idea of a surprise inside a surprise! It's fall, so I thought a pumpkin would be a good shape for the interior of the card, and I had a petal enclosure cut file in my Silhouette library that I sized up to fit inside the dimensions of the pumpkin. 

To continue the fall theme, I chose the stamp and coordinating die set "Autumn Blessings" by Our Daily Bread and stamped the sentiment "A falling leaf is nothing more than a summer's wave goodbye" and then die cut the sentiment using a Gina Marie Designs stitched oval die. Then I embossed the sentiment die cut.  After that, I stamped and die cut the leaves and acorn elements in the Autumn Blessings set. I also die cut a twig from a Tim Holtz set and used that on a couple of the card fronts. I didn't have enough of any one color of ribbon to do all the cards in the same ribbon, so I used a couple different colors for the set for the shut ins I mail to each week and then a third color for my good friend whose card was modified slightly to read "I'm so blessed by your friendship." She embroidered a beautiful jean jacket for me for my birthday earlier this week, and I wanted to make her a special card as a thank you. I chose a verse that reflected the gift of Christian friendship. She's like a sister to me for sure!

The set of cards for the shut ins this week:


The version I gave my friend:


The next few pictures show what the card looks like as it opens: 


The stamp on the pumpkin reads: Surprise inside




Inside the petal enclosure part:


A close up of the verse:


Challenges I'm entering: 

Tic Tac Toe Challenge - Inspiring creativity 8-ways each week: Leaves, ribbon, autumn colors (ends October 6)

handicraft dream (bastel-traum.blogspot.com): Fall (no limit; ends October 15)

Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG (no limit; ends at the end of the month)

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/: Emboss it (the sentiment on the card front was embossed with a Cuttlebug leaf EF) (1/5 ends October 3)

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: ATG (5/5; ends on October 5)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (5/5 for this week; 5/10 for the challenge; ends October 12)

fourseasons (thefourseasonschallenge.blogspot.com): ATG Fall (2/3 ends at the end of the month)

Double D Challenges (daranddiane.blogspot.com): Things that fall (leaves); (1/3; ends on October 12)

The Paper Shelter: Buttons and/or Bows (I have bows on the front of my cards) (1/3; ends on October 5)




Double Trouble Paper Crafting (doubletroublechallenge.blogspot.com): Punch it out (ATG with a die); Beverage I was drinking while crafting this one was Harney & Son's Florence black tea (a chocolate/hazelnut blend) with Hazelnut Nut Pods non-dairy creamer! So delicious! (4/4; ends on October 3)

InspirationStation (inspirationstationchallenge.blogspot.com): Scarecrow graphic as inspiration--I went with the fall theme and chose fall colors and leaves on my card (unlimited entries; ends on October 2)

Challenge | Your Next Stamp: Fall (2/3; ends October 15)

Festive Friday Challenge (theoutlawzchallenges-friday.blogspot.com): Fall,  Halloween, Christmas (1/3; ends October 13)

Taylormadecards4u: ATG with option of Halloween/Fall (1/3; ends at the end of the month)


Can You Handle The Pressure? (cyhtp.blogspot.com): ATG with embossing; twist of leaves (I used a leaves EF to emboss the sentiment on the front of the card (check out the second photo) (3/3; ends on October 8)




Sweet Stampers Challenge: Add a sentiment (3/5; ends 10/8)

Twisted Thursday Challenge (theoutlawzchallenges-thursday.blogspot.com): ATG with a twist of 

                                                                1 RIBBON

 2 WORD SENTIMENT

3 LAYERS or MORE! 

(My card has a ribbon, 2 sentiments, and more than 3 layers)


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful quarter fold card! Love the patterned papers that you used. Thanks for sharing at the Double D, "Things That Fall" Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was loving the outside of the card but then saw the inside surprise as well - what a terrific idea! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an awesome card, lots of work too, but so worth it!! Thank you for joining our challenge at Four Seasons!
    Diane FS Co-Owner
    {Nellies Nest}
    {Four Seasons}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so wonderful! I love the idea of a surprise inside a surprise. Beautifully executed and so uplifting! Thanks for sharing this with us at The Paper Shelter!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fantastic and clever cards! They will certainly be appreciated. Thank you for joining us at Can You Handle the Pressure and at Double Trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW what an awesome creation ... going to be a BIG HIT! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Can You Handle the Pressure challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often. We appreciate your support!

    Darlene
    Can You Handle the Pressure
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    PS ... thanks for also sharing this beautiful with us over on our Four Seasons and Double D challenges. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a lot of work and a lot of cuts/dies and love the fun fold, love the surprise. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and your drink sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Carrie, you took Rae's idea and just ran with it! I am so impressed with the design, inside and out! Such a perfect autumn card. Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a creative and fun card! Thanks for joining the Stay Crafty Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie... your quarter-fold card is beautiful! I like how each quarter looks like a gift of it's own enticing the receiver to open it and see what's inside.
    Thank you for the mention in your post. Inspiration is what it's all about!
    Hope to see you again next challenge.
    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carrie: This is really cool and such a fun creative fold, too. Thanks for sharing with us at The Four Seasons Challenge and please visit again soon. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete