Friday, August 25, 2023

Bendy Pop Up Cards for Book Sale Volunteers

Earlier this month I coordinated the annual used book sale my Friends of the Library group hosts every year. I had a lot of people help out both before, during, and after the sale from the local high school football team who brought up all the boxes of books from the library's basement, to the students who set the books out by genre on all our tables to get ready for the sale, to the volunteers who manned the sale, to the wrestling team who helped take all the unsold books to our town's yearly benefit sale at a local church after our book sale was over. And through it all, the wonderful library staff pitched in wherever needed. The used book sale is the Friends group's biggest fundraiser, so we are so grateful for all the help from our community. I wanted to make thank you cards for everyone who helped out this year, so I searched for a card design that would incorporate a book theme and also have a fun sentiment. I happened to see a teacup on a stack of books and thought of the "To a TEA-riffic volunteer" idea. I used my Silhouette Design Studio software to make a print and cut of the sentiment using the font called "Ami." I chose that font because "Ami" means "friend" in French, and that seemed perfect for a thank you card from my Friends of the Library group 😀.

The bendy pop-up card design is from a Lori Whitlock file I purchased at the Silhouette Design Store awhile back. It was originally a Mother's Day card with a floral design and a Mother's Day sentiment, but I just swapped out the flower bouquet for a stack of books and added a teacup to the top for the focal point. I found some free seamless background digital paper with books on it and then used the eyedropper tool in Silhouette Design Studio to make the top and bottom books in the pop-up stack of books match the colors in the background paper. Using my Cameo 4, I print and cut everything out for a prototype card and thankfully tried it out in my A2 envelopes. It was just a bit too tall for the envelopes I wanted to use, so I resized all the elements and got busy creating 20 cards. Hopefully these cards will help show the volunteers how much we appreciate all their help every year.



Here's a look at the back of the card (CADL stands for Coopersville Area District Library. That's quite a mouthful, so we usually abbreviate it to CADL):


View from above. You can see the mechanism that makes the stack of books pop out:


Challenges I'm entering: 


Anything Goes with a Fun Fold for Creative Creases #64 (secretstamper.com): ATG with a fun fold (unlimited entries; ends 9/1/23)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (2/5 for the week; 6/10 for the challenge; ends 8/30/23)

simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Bright and cheerful (2/5; ends 8/30)

A Place To Start (hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com): ATG with a twist of leaves and/or trees (unlimited entries; ends at the end of the month)

613 Avenue Create (avenue613.blogspot.com): ATG (5/8; ends at the end of the month)

Creative Knockouts: ATG (1/2; ends 8/30/23) C10


Papercraft Challenges (papercraft-challenges.blogspot.com): Shaped cards (unlimited entries; ends 9/14/23)


12 comments:

  1. A very nice card!
    I haven't tried this shaped card yet....
    Thanks for the idea and...
    THANKS for stopping by A Place To Start !
    Hugz, Bettascrap DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betta! It’s an easy fun fold once you watch Lori Whitlock’s tutorial.

      Delete
  2. Such a fun and thoughtful card created just for your volunteers. So glad you could join our challenge at Die Cut Divas this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thank you card, Carrie! I'm sure they appreciated them and will feel great about volunteering again next year! Thank you for playing with Creative Creases Challenge, and I hope you can join us again soon. We really appreciate your support!
    Debbie, DT
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I appreciate all the kind words on my blog as I know I submit a lot of cards to CCC!

      Delete
  4. How delightful! Thanks for joining in our August challenge at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet, thoughtful card. I love all the layers. Thank you for entering Creative Creases #64. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This shape is a great idea! I like the cozy image. Thanks for joining us at the Papercraft Challenge.

    ReplyDelete