Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Gerda Steiner Halloween Card

Let me start this post by saying I apologize if the use of a witch image on this card offends anyone. I have always avoided using images of witches, fortune tellers, or other occult signs and symbols. As a Christian, I know that such things are nothing to play around with, and for Halloween cards, I usually stick to images of cute kids or animals dressed in silly costumes. This month's digi stamp in the Gerda Steiner monthly progressive challenge, however, is an adorable mouse riding a broomstick. I think this little mouse fits more in the "too cute to spook" category than the occult, but I completely understand if you disagree. I have often wished we could remove all the gruesome aspects of Halloween and let our kids just enjoy dressing up as someone/something else and eating loads of candy.
I love the colors of purple, green, orange and black for Halloween cards and decorations. This card turned out a lot busier than I would have normally planned, but I was following a sketch that called for a mat of the main card, 2 different papers underneath the image, and a mat of the oval with the image. I had a few papers that were all in the same color scheme, so I went to work cutting them all out. In hindsight, I probably should have gone with solid colors rather than all the patterned papers, but I consider every card a learning process.
The card itself is a DCWV blank black card. I used my Spellbinders Lattice Rectangles to cut out my next layer, adhering it with foam squares after weaving green and orange floss through the left and bottom sides and tying them in a bow to match the sketch. Next, I cut two rectangles with Spellbinders Resplendent Rectangles. I cut each rectangle in half lengthwise so I could follow the sketch by having 2 different pattern papers under my oval. I adhered both halves with glue tape. Next came the mat layer for my oval, which I cut out with Spellbinders Opulent Ovals and adhered with foam squares.
For the digi stamp, I decided not to color it digitally. I chose some Halloween digital paper and placed the stamp on the paper using my Silhouette Design Studio software. Then I added an oval cut line around it and did a print and cut with my Silhouette Portrait. I colored the image with markers and mounted the oval to the card with more foam squares.
To finish it off, I added a few sequins in the top right corner to match the last detail of the sketch.
Side view of the layers of the card:
Close up of the Gerda Steiner image. I used a light green marker for the hat band and the spider, but it doesn't show up very well in the photos.
I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

WordArt Wednesday
http://www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com/
Crafty Friends Challenge 2W,(W1) - something beginning with B (broomstick)
Send a Smile for Kids 2W, 2E (W2) cute fall or Halloween for kids 
The Pencil Case 2W, E2  (w2) B= bright 
613 Avenue Create - W - #141 Anything Goes with optional "Love Me Do"
Great Impressions - M, 3E, SIO - Trick or Tree-t
Crafting from the Heart - W, E3 - Always Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion - W, E3 - Always Anything Goes
Craft It Up & Link It Up Linky Party by Craftin Desert Divas - 2W - (Week 1) Favorite Color Combo
Incy Wincy Designs - W, 5E - No Rubber Stamps
Love to Scrap - 2W, 3E, F, digi or real stamping - (Week 2) At least 2 patterned papers
Not Just Cards - M, F - Always Anything Goes
Scrapbook Stamp Society Challenge Blog 2W, 3E - (Week 1) Anything goes + Option: Hat
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - W, 5E - Favorite Technique (die cutting)
Fan-Tastic Tuesday - W, E4, Must Be Square or Rectangular #102 Anything Goes with a twist: Bright and Colorful
Paper Minutes W - #400 Anything Goes
Artistic Inspirations - 2W, E3 - (Week 1) Anything Goes with Twist of Magic 
Papertake Weekly W -  Animal Magic
Through The Craft Room Door W, 2E - Always Anything Goes                                          Sweet Sketch - W,SIO - Sketch*
CropStop Linky Party M, 2nd Wednesday of M, E5, SIR(see blog for details)  #8 Anything Goes (Week 1 of 4


Simply Papercraft - 2WE3 - No. 13 (W1 of 2) - Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination - W, F- #50 Always Anything Goes 
TIME OUT Challenges - 2W (W2 of 2) #39 Make Your Mark (any marker, chalk, pencils etc)
Little Red Wagon - W - #306 Digi Do




Morgan's Art World - 2W, E3, SIO (must use digital stamp) - No.7 - (W1 of 2) - For The Kids
One Sweet Challenge (M,P1,SIR) Halloween
Card and Scrap (2W, P1/15) #103 Use Dies
Silhouette Challenges (M,P1,E3,SIR) # 29 Anything Goes

26 comments:

  1. So cute, love all your bright purples and oranges.
    Thank you for joining in with us this week.
    Anne SSW2-DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mouse is quite focused. The light green does show up. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday in our 200th Celebration Week’ challenge!
    Blessings and Hugs, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. That image is adorable - I wouldn't even think of it as a witch... I also love all the patterned papers - personal preference I guess =)
    So glad to have you play along with us here at SSW2!!
    Blessings to you Carrie!!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable little mouse, love the spider hanging on to her hat! Thanks for joining us this week. Hugs, Heide SSW2-DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is so cute. It's colorful and fun. Thanks for playing along with us at 613 Avenue Create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab Halloween card! Love that spider clinging to the hat! Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie this is such a cute Halloween card great image and your great design papers and embellishments are totally perfect. Lovely card and thanks so much for sharing your talent with us over at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 and good luck.
    Hugs
    Kathie SSW2~DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie cute and beautiful halloween card

    Thanks for join us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge.

    Greetings Karin DT Coördinator


    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining us at Not Just Cards Challenge this week!
    Monica - DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous card, what a great image! Thanks for playing at PTW! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soo Beautiful Halloween card!
    Thanks for joining us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge
    Welcome again and Good Luck! Gr.Kaija DT-member

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute Halloween card. I love this image and the very pretty papers. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Simply Papercraft. Sue DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun Halloween card! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Your Passion challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Incy Wincy Designs, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Love to Scrap, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great card! ​ I sa​w​ it linked at Send a Smile 4 Kids and had to come see it and your blog. I am now your newest follower and would ​be honored​ if you visited my blog and became a follower too. http://karenskreativekards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol what a funny mice!
    hugs
    mamapia

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH my goodness, this is TOTALLY darling! I LOVE the sweet mouse image--she is just the cutest! Fabulous layering and color combo, too! Thank you for joining us at Great Impressions! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I too avoid making Halloween things for religious reasons. That being said, i really like this card. I love the colors that you used and i am not offended at all by the image. It is very cute. You've done a great job and I thank you for sharing it at Love to Scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely card thanks for joining us at Artistic Inspirations Louise DT x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cute card and lovely layout. Thanks for joining in the fun with us at The Pencil Cases Challenge Blog and our challenge of 'B is for Bright'. Yvonne (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super cute card! Love the thread and sequins you added in, they are the perfect touch. Thank you so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how adorably CUTE!!! Such a CUTE card! Thanks for playing along with us over at Craftin Desert Divas Linky Party! :)

    Theresa (CDD DT)
    Theresa’s Crafty Creations

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! I love how you wove the twine through the die. Thanks so much for joining us at Great Impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing with us at Silhouette Challenges!

    Aww having a soft spot for meecies, I LOVE this!!!

    ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  26. I believe you mentioned some very interesting details, thanks for the post. Foreign visitors should apply for a visa on arrival Turkey online. Online Visa provides fast secure visa services.

    ReplyDelete