Friday, September 16, 2022

Matthew 17:20 Tri-Fold Card

This week's cards for the shut ins at my church was designed with a Stampin' Up ("Mountain Air") set I won in a recent Creative Creases Challenge. This set appealed to me for several reasons. First, these are amazing stamps for creating nature scenes. Second, I had never tried reversible stamps before, and the idea intrigued me. Third, there are a lot of scriptures that speak about mountains, so I should be able to use this set to design several different Christian cards. I think it will be a versatile addition to my stamp collection. If you are interested in this set or other lovely Stampin' Up items, click here to shop the catalog under Debbie Mageed's name: Shop For Stamps, Paper, Project Kits, & Other Incredible Products (stampinup.com)  Thank you so much for the beautiful set, Debbie! 

To make the most of these stamps, I wanted to create a scene with some depth to it, so I decided to go with a tri-fold card. My first attempt was based on a card that used letter-sized paper. The disadvantage of that design was that the back panel of the card just flopped down. I wanted it to stand up, so I added a hinged panel to the back of the card. I ended up with a base that was 11 inches in length and 5 1/2 inches in width. I scored it at the 1 1/2 inch mark, the 3 inch mark, the 5 1/2 inch mark, and the 8 inch mark. Then I cut another piece of paper for the hinge that measured 5 1/2 by 3 1/2. I scored it at the half inch mark and folded that over to adhere to the back panel of the base card. The hinge is covered by the blue sky panel once the card is assembled. 

The verse I chose for these cards comes from the passage where Jesus told His disciples: "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" (Matthew 17:20-21).  I like how Alyssa Roat summed up this passage: "The Lord has the power to move mountains. Our faith is in Him to do so. Nothing will be impossible for us because 'nothing will be impossible with God'" (Luke 1:37). Here's the link to the article I took the quote from if you'd like to read the rest of Alyssa's commentary: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/true-ways-your-faith-can-move-mountains.html  

Here's a look at the card from the front and from the side. You can see how I folded it accordion style. 


I wanted to show the stamp set I used to give you an idea of what stamps are in it. The individual stamps are reversible. So fun! And so brilliant! Each stamp can make a shadow or a more detailed depiction depending on which side you use. I've used the mountain and tree line shadows as well as the reverse side of the moon stamp to make it look like the sun. 


This was my prototype card where I embossed the reverse side of the clouds with white embossing powder and used different colors for the mountains. I chose a verse that wound up being too long to see clearly due to the limited space at the front of the card. In the future, I may use this card design but put the trees at the front, the mountains in the middle, and the verse in the back so I can use a longer verse and still have it be easy to read. 



Here's a close up of the clouds so you can see what the reverse side of the cloud stamp looks like when I used Versamark ink and then white embossing powder (they would normally be solid white, but the original paper I chose had texture to it):



There's room on the back to write a message:


There is a coordinating set of dies available if you don't like fussy cutting. I fussy cut all the elements except the verse on the front of the card (which I cut with my Silhouette Cameo) but may decide to purchase the matching dies in the near future:


The card folds flat to mail in an A2 envelope (it will require extra postage due to the thickness):


I stamped the mountain shadow stamp with Versamark and used silver embossing powder for that layer. It's hard to tell in the photo, but the mountain background has a lovely silver shine in real life:




Finished set of cards: 



Challenges I'm entering:

Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG (unlimited entries; ends at the end of the month)


Taylormadecards4u: ATG with option of food and beverage (3/3 ends on September 30)

Creative Fingers Challenge Blog: ATG (2/3 ends on 9/23)

Moving Along With The Times: Trees and/or Leaves (1/3 ends at the end of the month)


The Paper Funday Challenges: ATG with option of Thinking of You (5/6 ends on October 2; winners announced on October 5)

little red wagon (lilredwagon.blogspot.com): Anything but square or rectangle; ends 9/20)

Ellibelle's Corner (simplyellibelle.com): ATG (1/3 ends at the end of the month)

Crafty Catz (craftycatzweeklychallenge.blogspot.com): ATG with option of use metal (I used silver embossing powder for the shadow behind the mountains) (2/3 ends on 9/22)

10 comments:

  1. Carrie, I think it's wonderful that you create such special cards for shut ins. It has to bring such joy to them. Thank you for sharing your card with us at CC.
    Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carrie, I just love the creativity of this fun fold card! I can tell you enjoy making cards for those who can benefit from your sunshine. Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie,
    this is such a very lovely card and a wonderful design.
    I love the stepper design and your use of those wonderful stamped trees and mountains. are so lovely.
    Such a great scene on the card also.
    Thank you for joining the MAWTT Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie your card is amazing, thank you for joining the Outlawz Festive Friday challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful, a fabulous card fold creating this wonderful scene in layers. Thank you so much for joining in at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!
    Ellie
    Ellibelle's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie... the stamp set is perfect for the passage you chose. How special the shut-in's must feel when they receive your handmade hug. Thank you for playing along with Creative Creases

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, what a beautiful, meaningful card. I love that you made it a "mountain fold", perfect! Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! such a beautiful card, the end result is amazing!
    Thank you so much for Joining us at Crafty Catz Challenge
    Have a lovely rest of the week
    Bridget, crafty Catz DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card and message. Thanks for playing along at The Paper Funday Challenge.
    Donna xx
    The Paper Funday Challenge
    The Inspiration Station Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an uplifting and positively beautiful card! Thanks for playing with us at The Outlawz Festive Friday Challenge! Nan, DT

    ReplyDelete