Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Exploding Box Card

My oldest daughter was recently promoted to manager at the cheese shop she works at, and I wanted to make a special card to celebrate her promotion. I recently placed a SU! order and purchased this adorable "Taco Fiesta" stamp set that worked great for an exploding box card for my daughter.

I don't usually buy special score boards to make cards since I generally use my Silhouette Cameo 4 to create fun fold cards, but a friend of mine treated me to a card class at my local craft outlet store this past week as a Christmas present (I had treated her to one earlier in the season where we made sleighs together), and the class included We Are Memory Keepers Explosion Card Board. There's a bit of a learning curve to make this card, tray, and envelope, so I am glad we had an actual class on it. I also watched the assembly videos a couple times after I got home. It's not that it's particularly complicated; it's just that it's important to follow all the steps exactly in order for the card, tray, and envelope to turn out right. 

I used some cute papers (I love when I have just the right paper in my stash for a project!) to form the box, tray, and envelope and then set out to decorate the box. I personalized the Taco Fiesta set by using my Silhouette Design Studio software to do a print and cut of a few words/phrases like "Cheesemonger,"  "You're a manager!" and "Congratulations." I did a few sizes of each of the words/phrases so I could also use them as the confetti that pops out with the box card. 

I chose a scalloped label from my Silhouette files and sized it for the white card stock and then did an offset for the green mat behind the white card stock. Then I set about stamping and coloring (using Copic and Chameleon alcohol markers) and fussy cutting to decorate all 4 sides of the box card. I also stamped "Pull here" and "Hold here" (included in the WRMK's Exploding Box Card set) and adhered them to the tray and envelope. I used foam tape on the sentiments to add some dimension. 


Here's a look at the card when flattened to mail out, the confetti on top, the tray it fits in to mail, and the envelope:



Here's a look at the four sides of the box:









Here's the inside of the box with the rubber band that makes the magic happen!:


Side view:


Here's how it looks with everything tucked into the envelope. When the recipient pulls on the tray, the pressure is released, and the box card explodes out with the confetti bits:


Here's a look at the special board used to create the box card, tray, and envelope:


Challenges I'm entering: 


We Love Stamping: I love...I love making fun fold cards! Anything interactive and unique that makes the recipient feel special (1/3; ends Dec. 28)


Double Trouble Paper Crafting (doubletroublechallenge.blogspot.com): Playing along with Thing 1: ATG this time (4/4; ends Dec. 28)



The Paper Funday Challenges: ATG (6/6; ends Jan. 1)


 ****Pammie's Inky Pinkies**** **********Challenges********** (pammiesinkypinkieschallenges.blogspot.com): ATG (3/3; ends 12/25)

Lil Patch of Crafty Friends Challenge ...: ATG (3/3; ends Dec. 31)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (1/5 for the week; 1/10 for the challenge; ends Jan. 4)

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Party 

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/: Party Time

The Paper Shelter: ATG (1/2; ends Jan. 18)

Your Scrapbook Place : December Challenge - The Paper Shelter: ATG (2/3; ends at the end of the month) 


Dragonfly Dreams (dragonflydreamschallenges.blogspot.com): ATG but Christmas (2/3; ends Dec. 31)


Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG (unlimited entries; ends Dec. 26)

12 comments:

  1. Well that is just such a fun and exciting card! Amazing how it looks so innocent when tucked away in the envelope. Thank you for joining us at Double Trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cute and super clever as well, Carrie. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday. I really hope that you'll also take part in our Blog Hop so that you'll be entered to win all those fabulous prizes. Have a blessed week and thanks again for stopping by. I always appreciate it.
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great fun creation, many thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations and We Love Stamping challenges. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness how wonderful and perfect for your daughter, I bet she was thrilled. Great that it folds flat too. Thanks for taking part at We Love Stamping challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and also thanks for sharing at Stamping Sensations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, this is way cool! You did a fantastic job personalizing it. Your daughter will love it and congrats to her. I'm glad you showed us the rubber band pic. Good luck in the Creative Creative Creases Challenge.
    Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic card and will be quite exciting for the recipient when it explodes. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble... something I'm going to look for in the You Tube tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's so clever, thanks for sharing it at we love stamping. Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so fun to make and the element of surprise is fabulous! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Your daughter must have been thrilled with this! Thanks for sharing with us at 613 The Avenue Create, I hope we’ll see you again soon! And wishing you and your love ones a Happy New Year!
    Hugs, Kate (Cards a la Kate)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome box card - I Love all the sentiments and images - the taco one is my fav. Thank you for sharing and for taking part in the polkadoodles digi choosday challenge. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and all the best for the New Year! Happy Crafting! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure this was well enjoyed by the recipient, brilliant card. Thanks for playing along at Stamping Sensations this month.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete