Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Hero Arts Book-Themed Christmas Card

This card is very special because I made it for my youngest daughter who won't be able to be home for Christmas this year. She's in the Navy's Nuclear Power Program in SC and will be working on Christmas Day. I've already sent her a few Christmas cards and a care package, but when I received my package of book-themed stamps and dies from Hero Arts a few days ago (I won the monthly Stay Crafty with A Blog Named Hero challenge last month and was delighted to see all their book-related stamps and dies! Thanks, Hero Arts!), I knew I wanted to make something for Emily with them. This card design is called a "Frame Card" and is a modified version of a cut file by Magio do Scrap that I purchased at the Silhouette Design Store. 

The front of this card has a shaker element. I want to thank Kanan Pandya on the Hero Arts DT for the inspiration to make this book window die into a shaker frame. I used the Hero Arts Book Window Fancy Die to create the shaker window and then die cut the book frame with a stitched oval die by Gina Marie Designs. I die cut a second oval of the same size using acetate and adhered it to the back of the gold card stock I used for the book frame. I used 2 layers of foam tape to create the shaker and added beads and Christmas shaker elements before adhering the gold panel to cover the shaker part. The sentiment I stamped on green card stock is from Hero Arts' Literally the Best stamp set. To decorate the inside of the card, I used that same set as well as stamps and dies from the Hero Arts Library Card Stamp and Cut set and the Hero Arts Stacked Books Fancy Die (which I cut into 3 pieces so it would fit on the panels of the card)

The inside of the card is an accordion fold, so I had plenty of room to add stamps, die cuts, and ephemera. It was a fun card to make, and I'm hoping it cheers up my daughter. Working so far from home on Christmas is rough! At least she is safe and stateside this year though. I'm counting my blessings! 

Here's the card front: 


When the card is open, it looks like an accordion:



Here's the first fold after I personalized it for my daughter. After die cutting and stamping the library card note, I trimmed it down to fit the panel. The set comes with the "Overdue," "for," and "hugs & kisses" stamps as well as some other great sentiments:



Here are the other panels. I like how easily the book stack die can be cut into sections for shorter areas: 



Close up of the third panel. I used foam tape to adhere the top stack of books to the bottom one: 


Close up of the bottom panel. I used the library card pocket die to create a pocket to hold the tag I stamped "Sending" and "Love" with from the same set:



A few other views of the card from various angles:









A look at all the shaker elements:



Challenges I'm entering: 


https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Freezing cold (I have snowmen in my shaker mix and a snowy tree on the last panel) (3/5; ends 12/21)

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/: Party time (Christmas celebration) (1/5; ends Jan. 2)

The Paper Shelter: Celebrations (1/2; ends 12/20)





Tuesday Color challenge (theoutlawzchallenges-tuesday.blogspot.com): Tic tac toe (diagonal from top left to bottom right: trees in the shaker and on the last panel; Santas and Santa hats in the shaker element mix, and snowmen in the shaker element mix) (3/3; ends Jan. 9)



Outlawz Challenges: Monthly linky

InspirationStation (inspirationstationchallenge.blogspot.com): Cup of cheer (I'm trying to cheer up my daughter as she's away from home this Christmas. The picture of the darling little marshmallow snowman in the mug of cocoa with a smile on his face made me think of what I'm trying to do for my daughter: put a smile on her face 😀. My card also matches the red and green colors in the inspiration picture.) (unlimited entries; ends Jan. 1)

Songs and Rhymes challenge (theoutlawzchallenges-sunday.blogspot.com): the phrase that inspired me was "this is Christmas." 




{Cupcake Inspirations}: Happy Holidays




As You Like It Challenge: ATG Christmas (1/3; ends Jan. 11)


The 12 Months of Christmas Link Up: ATG Christmas (6/10; ends Dec. 31)

 Peace On Earth Christmas: ATG Christmas (2/3; ends Dec. 31)


Classic Design Challenge Blog: ATG (unlimited entries; ends Dec. 26)

Crafty Friends Challenge Blog: Traditional Christmas Colors (2/5; ends Dec. 29)

Creatalicious Challenges: ATG with option of CAS Christmas (3/3; ends Dec. 30)

13 comments:

  1. Carrie, you are so creative! A shaker fun fold card is such a great idea! Love the cool die you used! Thank you for playing with us at Creative Creases and the HLS Die Challenge and hope you can join in again soon. Happy Holidays!
    Debbie
    Secrets To Stamping
    Join my Creative Creases Challenge for fun folds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is a beautiful gift in itself - love the fun fold! Thanks for sharing with us at HLS Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing card Carrie and I am sure will be loved by your daughter. Thanks for joining in the Colour challenge at The Outlawz....Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card and I'm certain she will love it. Please thank her for her service. Thanks for linking up at The Inspiration Station Challenge.
    Donna xx
    The Inspiration Station
    The Paper Funday
    **starting 15 January - The Beautiful Blossoms Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm popping back by to say thanks for sharing your lovely project with us at The Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenge.
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank your daughter for me, for her service to her country! The card is so beautiful...so many elements so well throught out. I'm quite sure she will cherish it and the love that comes with it. Thanks for sharing this with your inspirational story at Inspiration Station Challenge Blog. Kathy DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous card!!! It's actually a gift in itself. Let your daughter know she is appreciated by all. Thanks so much for playing along with the HLS Die challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, thanks for sharing it with us at the Twisted Thursday Challenge Blog.
    Big hugs Ilonka DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy being creative. This card is so nice too.
    Lia DT POE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful creation! Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge December "ATG".
    Ileanaxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing creation! I love all the surprises with each new panel. What a fabulous labor of love. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers ~ Christmas Challenge.

    sue n.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally fantastic accordian card! Love it! Thanks for playing with us at The Outlawz Monday Greetings! Nan, DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an amazing card. I love the design. Thanks so much for joining us at the Ayli challenge.

    Hugs,
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete