Sunday, June 9, 2024

Make Your Own Sunshine Card

A recent challenge in the FB Altenew Fan Group was to try a new stencil technique. When I saw that prompt, I knew I wanted to try out the technique I had seen Nicki Baxter (Nicki Hearts Cards) use in a YouTube video. Here's a link to her video: 3 MUST-SEE Embossing Powder Ideas with Masculine Card Making (youtube.com). For the last technique she shows in the video, she used embossing paste through a stencil and then added 3 different colors of WOW  embossing powder over the embossing paste. 

To follow Nikki's technique, I applied embossing paste through Altenew's Bursting Dahlia stencil and then added teal, pink, and yellow WOW embossing powders over the embossing paste. Then I used my heat gun on the powder to melt it. This type of embossing powder has bits of metallic and white in it, and when I heated it up, it bubbled up. That was fun to watch! I love the way it looked when I had finished heating it up! It is the most unusual embossing powder I've ever used, and using it with the embossing paste gave it extra dimension. It's very smooth and shiny in person. 

I wanted the embossed dahlia to the focus of the card, so I trimmed the panel I had made it on down to fit a 5X7 card and then matted it with blue card stock behind it. I created a pink 5X7 card base and then stamped the sentiment: "Some days you have to create your own sunshine" from Altenew's CYL: Floral Acanthus set with VersaMark ink and white embossing powder. I heat set the sentiment and then added it to the front panel. I considered adding some embellishments to the top of the card, but in the end I left it as is with the dahlia drawing all the focus. I think next time I try this I may do some background stamping (maybe tone-on-tone) so it's not a stark white panel, but for now, I'm excited to have tried a new technique and really like how this turned out. Thanks, Nicki!



A closer look at the sentiment:


Close ups of the embossed areas. Note the white and gold flecks that were part of the WOW embossing powder sets:





Here's what it looked like before I heat set the embossing powder:


Here's after I heat set it:


Challenges I'm entering: 

Allsorts challenge blog: Flowers Galore (3/3; ends 6/14/24)

New tab (timeoutchallenges.blogspot.com): My card features flowers as the theme. Hopefully you want to see them 😁 (4/5; ends 6/19/24) C5


Crafty Catz (craftycatzweeklychallenge.blogspot.com): ATG with option of use a stencil (3/5; ends 6/13/24)

Crazy is our fame - STENCILS are our game! (stencilfun.blogspot.com): ATG with stencils (2/3; ends at the end of the month)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (3/5 for the week; 3/10 for the challenge; ends 6/19/24)

No more challenges. 
    
 

11 comments:

  1. So effective Carrie, many thanks for sharing at Allsorts challenge this week and adding a gorgeous flower.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! This one was so fun to make!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Diane! It sure was a fun card to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great look, love the sparkle and colors. Thanks for sharing over at Crafty Catz

    ReplyDelete
  4. That technique added a lot of dimension, color and shine to your Dahlia, Carrie. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Time Out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O wow! This is stunning Carrie and thanks for all the WIP pics!
    Thank you so much for playing cards with us this fortnight at Time Out!
    Hugs, Kate (DT Time Out Challenges)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't done that technique in quite awhile, but remember my amazement the first time I tried it. The dahlia stencil was a great choice, as were those powders. Strikingly beautiful card which I'm happy to see in our gallery at Time Out!

    ReplyDelete