Sunday, June 16, 2024

Swinging Gate Father's Day Card

My husband is an amazing father to our grown children and a wonderful, fun grandpa to our soon-to-be 2-year-old grandson. I always try to make him a special Father's Day card, and this year I had a new Altenew Craft-Your-Life: Rustic Charm set to play with to create his card.

For the background, I added VersaMark embossing ink through the cloud stencil that came with the Rustic Charm set. Then I added white embossing powder and heat set the clouds. They have some nice texture to them that you can't really see in the photos. I stamped "Happy Father's Day" with a retired CTMH stamp and then set to work on creating the gate. I wanted it to swing open and shut, so I die cut the gate in white cardstock with a half inch "hinge" (I scored the paper with a half inch on the left side that I folded over and when I die cut the gate, I made sure the part with the folded over scored portion didn't go to the edge of the die so that it left a hinge on that part that I could adhere to the back of the card. Then I die cut a gate using woodgrain card stock and embossed it using the coordinating embossing folder and adhered it to the white gate with foam tape. I also die cut a third gate out of the same woodgrain paper but the backside of the paper so that when I flipped the gate die cut, it would fit on the inside of the white gate and cover the white gate. 

The birds and branches were made from the same Rustic Charm set, and I added one on the inside of the card so it shows more fully when the gate is open. The second was added directly to the front of the gate. 

I added the "Every birdy thinks you're great" sentiment (which was a print and cut I designed in Silhouette Design Studio software) with foam tape, and the card was finished. 



Close up:


When the gate is open:


Close up:


 Challenges I'm entering: 


Allsorts challenge blog: Masculine (3/3; ends 6/22/24)

Crafty Catz (craftycatzweeklychallenge.blogspot.com): ATG with option of Make it Masculine (3/5; ends 6/27/24)

Creative Fingers Challenge Blog: ATG (3/3; ends 6/29/24)

As You Like It Challenge: With or Without Words and Why: I prefer to add a sentiment to my cards (whether on the inside or the card front) because I like to personalize the card that way and give a message to fit the occasion. (3/3; ends 6/26/24)

simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Bright and Cheerful (3/5; ends 6/19/24)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (3/5 for the week; 8/10 for the challenge; ends 6/19/24)

Cardz 4 Guyz: Father's Day (3/3; ends 6/24/24)


A Place To Start (hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com): ATG (ends at the end of the month)

Double Trouble Paper Crafting (doubletroublechallenge.blogspot.com): Thing 1: Masculine project (ends 6/16/24) (3/4; ends 6/16/24)

Inspiration Station (inspirationstationchallenge.blogspot.com): The photo shows a celebration, and my card is celebrating 2 dads: my FIL and my son (4/8; ends at the end of the  month 


613 Avenue Create (avenue613.blogspot.com): ATG or option of For The Guys (ends at the end of the month)

Triple B (dd-tripleb.blogspot.com): Birds, blooms, and/or butterflies (1/3; ends at the end of the month)

30 comments:

  1. Fantastic fence die and love how you used the inside to perch one of the birds.... handsome card. Thanks again for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever card design, I like the dimension of the fence and of course, the birds are gorgeous. Thanks for playing along at The Inspiration Station Challenge. We look forward to seeing more of your designs soon.
    Donna xx
    Inspiration Station Challenge
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
    Paper Funday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna! The coordinating stencil for the birds is awesome!

      Delete
  3. Super card, a very clever design. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge this week using the Masculine option.
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great design, love how you've hinged the gate, so effective. The birds are beautiful too! Thanks for joining in at Crafty Catz.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a fun & fabulous creation! LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Triple B challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Co-Owner … Can You Handle the Pressure, Double D, Four Seasons, Peace On Earth, Stencil Fun, Simply Clean & Simple, Two Old Bats, Triple B, Word Power

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card, I love the bird and fluffy clouds and sentiment..
    Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge this fortnight at As You Like It..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, your card is GORGEOUS! I love all the layering and texture you've created!! Thank you so much for sharing how you made it with us at Double Trouble!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that swinging fence! How awesome!! Your card turned out great and I'm so glad you shared it with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOWSER! This is awesome on every level!
    Love everything about this!
    We are always super happy to see every entry in our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create.
    Please do come back again!
    The very best of luck with your entry.
    Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another one...I love the swing gate!! Thanks for play along again with our "Father's Day" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz...I am sure your card made some dad smile!!
    Deb Horst, DT #C4G349

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one fabulous card love the birds and fence also the lovely sentiment thank you for joining us at Allsorts
    hugs
    lolo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning Father's day card. Love the bird on the fence. Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create this month. Hope to see your pretty art work back here again soon. Judy DT https://avenue613.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a clever design, Carrie, and perfect for a masculine design! Thank you for playing along at Double Trouble #168.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful card, so clever. Pretty birds. Thanks for playing along with us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz. DT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caz, thanks so much! I love those birds, too!

      Delete
  15. Stunning! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Place to Start!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete