Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Gatefold Double Pop-Up Card

I was recently a winner at the Creative Creases Challenge, and the Stampin' Up! prize I chose was the Whale Done stamp set. (Thanks so much for the prize, Debbie!) I knew I wanted to create a special card for my daughter's upcoming graduation from the final stage of her 18- month training in the Navy's nuclear power program, and this ocean-themed stamp set with the fun "Whale Done" and "You're Kind of a Big Deal" sentiments seemed perfect to celebrate my favorite Sailor's graduation! 

Now that I had the stamp set picked out, I needed to decide on a fun fold card design. I ended up choosing to try my hand at a gatefold double pop-up card. The inspiration for this type of card design came from Miriam Napier's video here:  (1) Gate Fold Double Pop-Up Card - YouTube. I used her measurements to create a cut file in my Silhouette Design Studio software to make this card. Thanks, Miriam!

After creating the cut file for the card, I chose the papers I would use. I happened to have one sheet left of an adorable whale-themed paper that I used for the outside of the card. Then came the most challenging part of making this card: the ocean scene inside the card. I had purchased a 6X6 rubber background stamp that depicted an underwater scene soon after I requested the Whale Done stamp set because I thought it would pair well with that set. I don't have much experience with using such a large stamp, and let me tell you, I was grateful for my MISTI stamping platform! The stamp had places that didn't want to stamp despite my best efforts at inking it up evenly, but eventually I was able to create 2 6X6 panels that I cut to size for the inside of this card to create the ocean background. 

Then I had fun playing with the Whale Done stamp set and stamped the whale, a couple sentiments (one for the belly band in front and one for the inside of the card), several sea horses, a jellyfish, a turtle, some bubbles, a couple ocean plants, and several schools of fish. Some I stamped on white card stock squares (for the belly band and the 2 pop-ups inside the card) and the rest I fussy cut and adhered to the ocean background to add some color and interest to the flat scene created by the 6X6 stamp. Then I assembled all the pieces I had cut out using my Silhouette Cameo 4. It was a bit challenging to line up the pop-ups properly, but I was able to get everything in place after doing a practice card first. I have learned the hard way not to use my good card stock the first time I'm trying a new card design 😂! I have also started keeping a sample copy of each new fun fold card style I've designed with a post-it note labeling it so I can find the file again on my external hard drive where I save card files I've made using my Silhouette Design Studio software. It's great to have a sample of the cards to see the sizing of all the details and figure out what stamps/word art would work well with the design.

I added one green and several blue gems to the front and the inside of the card as a finishing touch. 


Here's the card front with the belly band:


Video of me opening the card: 




Close up of the sentiment on the belly band:



Views of the inside of the card: 









Can you spot the jellyfish?






Here's the back of the card:


Here's a look at the stamp set I used. If you'd like to purchase it, please visit Debbie Mageed's SU! link here: Whale Stamp, Turtle Stamp & Seahorse Stamp SET | Stampin' Up! (stampinup.com)


Challenges I'm entering: 


Word Art Wednesday: ATG (3/5 for the week; ends Feb. 1)


Dream Valley Challenges: Hip to be Square (2/3; ends Feb. 4)


A Place To Start (hereisaplacetostart.blogspot.com): ATG (ends at the end of the month)

Crafting Happiness Challenges

The Cutie Pie Challenge Blog: Blue (1/3; ends Feb. 6)

****Pammie's Inky Pinkies**** **********Challenges********** (pammiesinkypinkieschallenges.blogspot.com): ATG (1/3; ends Jan. 30) C10

Gem of A Craft Challenge (pinkgemchallengeblog.blogspot.com): ATG (2/2; ends Feb. 2)

Polkadoodles Cardmaking, Craft & Scrapbooking Challenge: ATG (1/2; ends 2/2/23) C10

No more challenges

11 comments:

  1. Carrie, such a fun and creative gatefold card! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! Carrie, this card is wonderful! I really love your creativity in making an ocean scene. Perfect and so much fun! I know your sailor will love and appreciate everything about it. Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie DT
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the fun stamps! I know this is a set I will use often!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter on her big accomplishment! You must be very proud of her and for good reason!! Thank you to her for her service! Your card theme was perfect and I ca see why you chose this stamp set. Well done on the finished product!! Thank you very much for sharing this with us at PIP Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfull card. Super fun and creative fun fold card. Thank you for joining us at Polkadoodles challenge. Good luck with your entry.

    Renske Polkadoodles DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie... a Whale of a Gate Fold for Creative Creases. Perfect! Thank you for joining in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work and a wonderul design! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Place to Start!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete