Monday, January 23, 2023

Side Panel Fold Stitched Sympathy Card

Some friends recently lost their father/father-in-law, and I wanted to make a special sympathy card for them. I decided to make a card using a Silhouette Design Studio file in my Silhouette Card Making & Paper Crafts FB group called a "Side Panel Fold Card." A big shout out to Sabine Harris who created and shared the file in our group. If you have a cutting machine and like to make fun fold cards, I highly recommend joining the group as there are many free files available and loads of helpful tips and inspiration in the group. 

I chose white card stock for the base and then used black cardstock for the first layer and brushed gold card stock for the next layer. I used the Spellbinders Stitched Medallion die to create the focal point. I die cut the die and its matching frame in black card stock and then die cut the frame alone using gold card stock I created by adhering metallic gold duct tape to white card stock and then die cutting it. I used the same technique for the "prayers" die cut. I saw that idea on Lydia Fieldler's blog Understand Blue. She mentioned it had the same effect as foiling a die cut, and it's absolutely brilliant! Here's a link to the tape she recommended (it's what I used for this card): AmazonSmile: Metallic Tape Mirror Tape Duct Tape DIY Decorative Tapes, 2.4 Inches x 55 Yards (Gold) : Industrial & Scientific. I chose some metallic gold thread and began stitching the die cut. This was my first time to stitch a die cut, and I actually really enjoyed it. My new year's resolution is to use what I have in terms of craft supplies, but eventually I would like to purchase more stitching dies in the future because I really like the effect and find it relaxing to do the stitching. For now, I'll content myself with using this die and branching out to try using the We R Memory Keepers stitching tools I bought ages ago and haven't touched 😁!

After completing the stitching on the die, I adhered it to the gold frame I had die cut earlier. Then I adhered the focal point to the card and adhered the die cut "prayers" on top of it with glue dots. The "prayers" die cut and stamped sentiments come from a Hero Arts stamp and die set. 

Front view: 


Another angle:


Side view: 


Back of the card:


Close up of the die cuts and stitching:


Top view:


Folded flat (I didn't think to take this picture until I had already written my note to my friends on the inside): 


Challenges I'm entering:



 Word Art Wednesday: ATG (1/5 for the week; 1/10 for the challenge; ends Jan. 31)










Let's Craft and Create (letscreatechallenges.blogspot.com): Black and White (ends at the end of the month)

digidesignchallengeblog (disdigidesignschallenge.blogspot.com): Make it sparkle (I used metallic thread and gold paper) (ends Feb. 3)

No more challenges


23 comments:

  1. Exquisite design! Beautiful special fold and stitched card. Thanks for sharing at the Colorful Options January Color Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty - love the design and the gold and black colour scheme. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous fold, Carrie. A stunning card that I thank you for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for popping in to my blog today Carrie. I too love my Silhouette and love to make great designs like this one. Very classy colors and a perfect sympathy card. ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty card, the design/fold is so different and the real stitching is beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card, Carrie! Wow, I love that fun fold and the papers are so elegant. Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie DT
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, to save time, I'm echoing all the comments above! Thank you for sharing it with us at Creative Creases.
    Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this is stunning! Fantastic fold and thank you for the inspiration. Thank you so much for playing with us at Let's Craft & Create Challenges and we hope to see you back for our new challenge on Sunday, February 5!

    Cindy | Design Team | Let's Craft & Create Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely box card! Thanks so much for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you used a unique stitching on your focal point, your card is so pretty and such a beautiful fun fold. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie, what a beautiful card. I love that you show us cards you make for your family and friends. Thank you for joining in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete