Monday, November 14, 2022

You Are SUB-Lime Fun Fold Card

My youngest child is in the Navy's nuclear power program. The Navy's nuclear program is a very intense, challenging course of study, and my daughter has made it through the first two phases of the program and is currently in the last phase where she spends her days on a decommissioned submarine learning the hands-on jobs she'll be doing once she enters the fleet. My husband and I are so proud of all her hard work and perseverance, and with the program ramping up in intensity, I wanted to send a special card to encourage her. Never mind that I just sent a care package with homemade chocolate chip cookies, a Thanksgiving card, a painting to remind her of our trip to Petoskey last time she was home on leave, and a dish towel with the state of Michigan on it along with icons for the various cities (like tulips for Holland and cherries for Traverse City). I can never send her too much encouragement, right? You moms out there understand, I'm sure! 

I have been wanting to use this cute submarine digi I won recently from Pretty Cute Stamps. One of the sentiments that came with the digi was "Have a SUB-lime day," so that gave me the idea to modify that to "You are SUB-lime" using the Antonio font in my Silhouette Design Studio software. Emily really is SUBLIME! She's brilliant, kind, beautiful, and caring. (And of course I'm not at all biased!) Seriously, though, she has a beautiful heart and looks out for everyone around her. 

The idea for this card design came from Rae Burnett, one of the DT at the Creative Creases Challenge. Her card for challenge #45 featured this Half Star Card design (using beautiful snowflakes). You'll want to check it out here: Stars, Illusions and Creases | Wild West Paper Arts. It's absolutely stunning!

I followed the tutorial Rae linked on her blog and then created a cut file for the card elements using my Silhouette Design Studio software. I chose cardstock with an ocean theme and adhered it to a base made with white cardstock. Then I printed a few of the submarine digis in different sizes to see what worked best and colored the sub using a silver metallic marker and a Copic marker.  I ended up fussy cutting 3 portholes from another printed copy of the submarine and using foam tape to pop them up on the submarine after adhering the tiny pictures I printed for the porthole peekers. The pictures had to be extremely tiny (.75 inch circles if you can believe it!). I chose the following pictures: our family dog Smoose (he's a 125-pound Harlequin Great Dane that Emily picked out for our family from a shelter in 2020), Emily on the day she graduated from Nuclear Power School (phase 2 of the program and a huge accomplishment), and Emily's best friend Noah giving a thumbs up. I thought those pictures would lift her spirits. She really misses both her dog and her best friend. I plan to use this half star card design again in the near future for my shut ins because it's such a fun, unique design. 

Front view standing up:


Lying open:


View from above the card. You can see the "half star" from this perspective:


First side view:


Second side view:




Challenges I'm entering: 

Anything Goes With a Fun Fold for Creative Creases #45 (secretstamper.com): ATG with a fun fold. Thanks for the inspiration for this card design, Rae!

TIME OUT Challenges: Challenge 226 -- Words: My daughter has both a good head and a good heart! C5



613 Avenue Create (avenue613.blogspot.com): ATG with option of fancy folds or cuts Top Rocker November Week Two


https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: Thinking of You



 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Carrie! This card is so creative! I'm sure it will be treasured. Love the cute submarine! Thank you for playing at Creative Creases Challenge and hope you can join in again soon.
    Debbie
    Secrets To Stamping

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie... this card is amazing... and cute beyond words! Thanks for sharing... someone lucky will receive it no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom! Your support and encouragement means so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, your creation is awesome! You have every right to be proud of Emily and there can never be too much encouragement provided to anyone! Rae will be very pleased to see what you did with her instructions. Thank you for entering this in the Creative Creases challenge.
    Karen, DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is very fancy! Super folds. A lot of input went into this, well done! Thank you for joining us at Time Out and I hope to see you joining our new photo inspiration challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, this is SO CUTE! I love your spin on the Half-Star Illusion fold. So nice of you to mention me in your post. Thank you for joining us for Creative Creases Challenge #45. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete