Monday, July 24, 2023

KCC11 Sketch 9: Gerda Steiner Designs

Earlier this year, I heard about a card challenge where 6 pieces of 6X6 inch design paper were used to create 15 cards. I was intrigued and joined the Kendra's Card Challenge FB group to have access to the instructions. Every 3 months, Kendra creates a cutting guide and 15 sketches to create a set of cards with the 6 pattern papers of your choice. This is my first month to give it a go, and this card is from sketch 9 in the series of 15. Forgive me if you are reading multiple blog posts from this card series because I'm repeating the information about Kendra's Card Challenge (KCC) in each post for the 15 cards in the series. 

I recently bought a 6X6 paper pad with Christmas papers, and since Christmas in July is a popular theme for card challenges this month, I set to work cutting all 6 Christmas papers according to Kendra's guide. Let me tell you that I was glad my paper pad had multiples of each pattern because I messed up my cutting more than once! I think it will be easier the next time around, but my pro tip to you is to be sure you can give it your full attention where you are following the cutting guides for the 6 papers 😂. If you are interested in joining in on Kendra's Card Challenge, you'll find all the details here: Kendra's Card Challenges | Facebook. Something to consider that I hadn't realized before beginning this project was that there are a lot of extra pieces of cardstock required to create the cards. There are many layers to these cards that aren't included in the pieces cut for the sketches with the 6 pieces of 6X6 pattern papers, so keep that in mind. You'll want to have plenty of coordinating colors of card stock to use for your layers. 

Once I had all the papers cut, the fun part started! The card sketches can be adapted to any theme, and I found that I could use all sorts of bits and pieces from my Christmas stash. I used a digital stamp by Gerda Steiner Designs and sized it up and did a print and cut of it using my Silhouette Cameo 4. I colored the digi using Ohuhu Honolulu alcohol markers. 

I had loads of Christmas ephemera in my stash, so I was excited to use it on my card set. For this card, I added a die cut snowflake, a couple greetings, some pinecones, a tree, and a layered poinsettia. I attached the "Noel" sentiment with some twine at the top, and the card was finished! 





Challenges I'm entering: 

Crafty Catz (craftycatzweeklychallenge.blogspot.com): Christmas in July (1/3; ends 7/26/23)

Most Magical Time of the Year!: ATG Halloween or Christmas (ends at the end of the month)

Double Trouble Paper Crafting (doubletroublechallenge.blogspot.com): Thing 1: Christmas in July; Thing 3: santa hat; Thing 2: Entered Jingle Belles challenge (3/4; ends 7/28/23)

jingle belles: Santa's Hat (jinglebellesrock.blogspot.com): ATG Christmas with santa's hat (ends 7/28/23)

Send A Smile 4 Kids Challenge Blog: Christmas in July (unlimited entries; ends 8/4/23)

Passion for Markers (promarkerchallenge.blogspot.com): Christmas animals (7/25/23)

Christmas Craft Creations (christmas-craft-creations.blogspot.com): ATG Christmas (3/3; ends at the end of the month)


Double D Challenges (daranddiane.blogspot.com): Christmas in July (3/3; ends 7/30/23)

simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/: 4-legged friends (3/5; ends 7/26/23)

Word Art Wednesday: ATG (5/5 for the week; 5/10 for the challenge; ends 8/2/23)

Crafter's Cafe (crafterscafeblogchallenge.blogspot.com): Christmas in July (3/8; ends 8/15/23)

Dream Valley Challenges: Christmas in July (1/3; ends 8/7/23)


35 comments:

  1. A cute card. This sounds like a challenge indeed. Thanks for joining Passion for Markers. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun challenge! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog!

      Delete
  2. Aww another adorable card Carrie. The image is super cute and your colouring is perfect. Gorgeous die cuts and papers. Thanks again for sharing with us over at Passion for Markers this week. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate all your kind comments, Denise!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty card! Thanks for sharing with us at CCC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a fantastic card, Carrie, and I love your ephemera embellishments! Thanks so much for playing along in our challenge at Crafty Catz this week. We hope to see you again soon and good luck in the draw.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute - love the twine across the top! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful and fun card Carrie and lovely colouring….. I live all the layers and the extra details you have used

    Thanks so much for joining us on the Passion for Markers challenge….

    Love and crafty hugs from

    Wendy (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you stuck with the instructions as you got an amazing Christmas card. Thanks for linking up with us at Double D Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute, the little tag and twine on the top are a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for joining in at The Most Magical Time of the Year with your wonderful project. Val - DT
    https://mostmagicaltimeoftheyear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulously fun and festive card, with such adorable critters! So happy you could join our Santa Hat fun at Jingle Belles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! It's been fun creating Christmas cards this month!

      Delete
  11. Great layout and lots of fun texture! Thank you for sharing with us at SAS4Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun card... cute line up of critters. I too just joined the 6 x 6 Christmas cuts and sketches; got the cuts done and sorted but haven't worked on the sketches... but I didn't have as good a match of the patterned papers as you did. I'll have to work on mine a little but you have inspired me to start them. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Double Trouble and Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, that's great! I think it's fun to try something new, and we'll both probably find it goes easier the second time around. I used papers from the same paper pad, so that helped. Next time I'll also find matching card stock ahead of time to be sure I can coordinate all the layers.

      Delete
  13. A sweet group of cuties for another holiday card ... so glad you joined us again at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty card! Thanks for playing at Christmas Craft Creations

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the composition of your card - that image is so sweet too - thanks for playing along with us at Christmas Craft Creations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carrie this Christmas card is so well done. Just love it. Thank you for sharing over at Crafter's Cafe. Best of luck and hope to see you again soon. DT~Jana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carrie, What a great way to use up all those bits and pieces. Fabulous! Thank you for providing so much inspiration for our SAS4Kids cardmakers.

    ReplyDelete